Repair manual

I just purchased my first Miata - a 1999. Since part of the reason I bought it is to enjoy working on it as well as driving it, I would like to have some good manuals for it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reply to
James Biteman

The factory manual is the one with the fewest errors, by far. Check with Finish Line Performance for the best price (but still not cheap). Mazda used to publish a large looseleaf manual for shops, plus a shrunken softbound version for owners at about 2/3 the price. The factory book assumes a basic level of skill as a mechanic (e.g., ability to disassemble major components using only an exploded view diagram). It's also the only one with full wiring schematics.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny:

Thanks for the suggestion. I ordered it from them. $50.00 plus... = $58.57 delivered. Not too bad.

Jim

Reply to
James Biteman

I'm a little surprised you didn't put him onto the MEM. Has it not been updated for the M2? I recall that, written for the early M1, it was pretty dated a couple years after the M2 came out.

Eric Lucas

Reply to
Eric Lucas

The 1.8 M1 version was published after the M2 was launched. Dunno if an M2 book is even in the works. Better late than never, I suppose, but I couldn't recommend buying a book for the wrong car. IMHO, it's also only half a manual without the factory book to back it up. The MEM is a decent maintenance guide, but no substitute for a real shop manual.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Please forgive my ignorance. What is the MEM?

Reply to
James Biteman

Agreed, although at

Reply to