Replaced 96 power antenna mast, but mast is loose

Folks;

My old antenna mast got bent, I bought a replacement and replaced it, but the mast is loose and I'm sure it wasn't this loose before.

I replaced the top plug and plastic rings, but the bottom of the mast doesn't seem to seat on anything in the tube. There was a sleeve on the old mast at the bottom. I didn't replace that on the new antenna as it was slightly bent up during removal of the old mast. I had to cut the old mast to get the plastic plug off, as it would not go down past the sleeve and would not go up past the bent part of the mast.

It seems to me the problem is at the bottom of the mast and not the top, which seems tight. Did that little sleeve have some catch on it or do I just need to somehow force the mast down a little bit more to engage on something at the bottom?

Kent driver of Hermes, 1996 M edition

Reply to
my_two_cent