Roll Bars???

"Rapture" by Blondie from the 1981 album "Autoamerican". It hit #1 in the US, #5 in the UK, and #4 in Australia and Italy.

The coda from Rapture was the first "rap" that a lot of us had heard at the time.

Here's the video:

It's a classic...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Ah. I was a hard working graduate student at the time.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Over $1500.00 total on the exhaust, that is if you don't count the turbo manifold, then it breaks $2100.00, or about half the blue book value of the car at the time. The previous owner was a real spender.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I was a 12 year old at the time....Blondie looked good...... :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

That knocks my anti-social self out. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

That was difficult to watch even though I can't argue about it being a classic.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

There was enough cocaine use involved in the production of that video to power a small town for a month, so it is bound to have lasting after-effects.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I was a "hard working" undergrad, but our apartment had free cable TV -- including a new channel called "MTV". Back then they actually played nothing but music videos (and had little in the way of commercials).

Reply to
Grant Edwards

A lot of the videos from back then were really awful -- little more than lipsyncing with some really bad visual effects.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Still does in the video but I wonder if she and Heart began the idea that being young, beautiful and sexy could substitute for talent....

That might explain some of today's pop tarts....

Reply to
XS11E

Now, cable has about as many commercials as commercial TV but I recall years back when people thought cable was non-commercial watching a movie on a friend's HBO channel, they were running about 20 minutes of commercials every hour. They called themselves "non-commercial TV" because ALL the commercials were for HBO and upcomming movies!

Personally, I'd just as soon watch a gecko hype insurance!

Reply to
XS11E

Gotta give Michael Jackson credit for making music videos what they are today, "Thriller" was amazing when compared with other videos of it's time.

I'm not much of a fan of his but that video did influence future music videos.

Reply to
XS11E

You mean like this one??????? ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Cool, you filmed a meeting of Iva's club celebrating the installation of a roll bar!

Reply to
XS11E

At Cornell at the time, the culture among the foreign graduate students was that you were in the office for an average of 18 hours a day or so,

7 days a week. (No, I did not do it. I need my sleep. But I did not really spend any time in my apartment beyond eating, taking a couple of nightcaps, and sleeping.)

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Not to mention an idiot? $1500 on an exhaust?? Even I can install those in a few hours.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Not this one.

Custom downpipe by Corky Bell with flex sections and wastegate joined in at the catalytic converter. The receipt including the flex sections, etc. comes out to over $1000.000, then there is the Enthusa Racing Exhaust, the Mazda Racing 3" catalytic converter, and the exhaust temp sensor and gauge. Closer to $1600.00.

The exhaust is 3" all the way and it barely fits. It looks like it was a job to get it hooked up, I wouldn't want to mess with it.

11.75 hours does seem like a lot, and this guy spent a ton of money on the car before selling it, even doing things like a $350.00 performance-cut valve job, a port & polish, etc., but he wasn't wasteful from what I can tell, just a perfectionist.

Pat

Reply to
pws

They have way too much time on their hands. :)

Reply to
Brian

OK. It did seem incredible at first thought. But I can understand perfectionism. ;)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Heh, I went ahead and scanned the invoice for the heck of it. It was actually 12.37 hours of labor, my memory is failing, so it was more expensive than I thought.

It was also done 3 years ago today, interesting.

Pat

Reply to
pws