Seatcover advice?

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege ES car

Any advice on some good seat covers for it? Brands, style, etc?

Is sheepskin a god material or not?

Reply to
me

Chuck

Is this what you use on your Miata?

Reply to
me

Reply to
Chuck

Chuck, I know you said you had the Katzkins installed a few years ago, but in your opinion (if you can recall), are the Katzkins are more comfortable than the OEM seatcovers and upholstery? The reason I ask is that my wife keeps saying that it would be nice to drive/vacation in the Miata but she finds the current OEM seats in my '95 Miata too uncomfortable for long journeys and keeps pressing me to install new seats...but I do not want to lose the headrest speakers, and so I'm considering the Katzkins. I know I may have to contend with very hot seats if I leave the car top down outside in the sun but I/we will have to manage.

Cheers

Jitendra

Reply to
Jitendra Tailor

Interesting, since many say that the NA seats are more comfortable than the early NB seats. (which I have) It seems to have a relationship with the vertical and horizontal size of the occupant. My wife used to complain about the seats in an 81 Datsun 210, which I though were quite comfortable, if slightly narrow. I wonder if the "hold in place" feature generally found in sports car seats is really the problem.

Fabric and leather differ in comfort. Tight and puffed seat covers make a difference. Fabric or leather surface makes a difference. Katskin has a suede variation similar to that used on the 10AE factory seats. Without knowing why your wife considers the NA seats uncomfortable, I cannot offer an opinion. I think that the Katskins I have are favorably comparable to the factory leather covers for comfort.

The Katskins would be ordered with the mention of headrest speakers. Miata Year Colors of the various parts of the seat and pattern Type of leather finish & if perforation is desired

Any other special considerations, such as embroidery

Basically, you remove the seats from the car, separate the seat back and bottom, and remove the tracks from the bottom. The factory covers are removed, and the new covers installed. While the seats are out, you might want to consider installing a bit of insulation under the carpet.

Seat bottom and back foam can be trimmed or added to before the covers are reinstalled.

Now if you had 99 or 00 seats, I have a set of very good condition factory light tan leather covers available at a reasonable price.

Light colored fabric seats will usually feel cooler than light colored leather. The difficulty is that the miata fabric color is usually black.

Reply to
Chuck

My wife complains of discomfort in the lumbar area. In my drivers side seat I have the inflatable bladder inserted, which, come to think of it I don't really use. I guess I'll just insert it in the passenger seat and see if it helps her.

Thanks anyway Chuck

Reply to
Jitendra Tailor

Nine years ago, I folded up an old T-shirt and stuffed it behind the lumbar area (where your air bladder is). It's still comfy.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have the basically crappy '99 seats (with fabric happily). I've found that a flexible cold gel pack (the kind you keep in the freezer for that occasional neck or knee pain) slides easily in and out behind the center back pad and not only adds just about the perfect (adjustable for height) bump out but, on a hot, top down drive, also adds a wonderful cooling effect there at you're lower back. For an extended trip I've even taken two and rotated them in and out of an icy drink cooler!

All the options on Katskins would be the tough part there! Nice stuff.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Are these covers that go OVER my current cloth upholstery?

Or something where I have to remove the cloth upholstery and install the leather skins myself?

Reply to
me

They require removal of current seat covering. Instl is not super hard but somewhat long and tedious. Make sure to look into the zip-tie method as opposed to the hog rings, I've heard it's much quicker.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Reply to
Christopher Muto

I really don't want to remove my current factory seat covers

Just want some kind of cover to go over it

I had wet okele covers in past. see link

Altho they fit well... the sun basically just ate them up over time

Advice on alternatives to wet okele?

Reply to
me