Spec Miata drivers?

I am creeping towards getting into amateur racing, most likely in the SCCA spec Miata class. I've been in touch with a few people who are active in
that community. Anyone posting here who has any words of wisdom? Does being involved in amateur racing automatically disqualify me from claiming wisdom about anything?