Re: LRW Show - Eastnor Castle - 21/22 June

but the article is meaningless - refers to a website put up in the public

>interest, yet doesn't give an URL. fat lot of help that is to any member of >the public who might want the info.

That's odd, almost not worth bothering in a sense.

and, what with detailed description of the content of the site, and a >picture apparently taken directly from said site, it's pretty clear that the >site in question is Martyn's (the URL has, I'm sure, bee aired in here >several times), and thus has hardly been created by "angry members of the >local community". Angry, maybe. Local, not exactly, not in Sheffield.

Not really. I only became aware of the article yesterday, and even then only found it on the site as the original article apeared last week. I have never denied being centrally involved with the site, however it isn't 'my site', and there are others involved who are indeed 'local' - or at least, a lot more local than I in a geographic sense - however, given the context within which

was established, I'd count myself 'very' local.

There's also an implication that the site has recently been created, which >isn't exactly true either - it's been at its current domain since the >beginning of April and was transferred pretty much unaltered from the >previous location.

I think that's probably pretty much down to media fudge more than anything else.

I for one would like to see a bit more accuracy in the media.

You can say that for every single story covered in the media. 'Those in the know', or, those who have first hand experience of any circumstances which are eventually reported will always say that the report was not totally correct. This is the way it goes, I'm afraid. A fair, unbiased and correct press sadly I fear, wouldn't be popular amongst the people who consume it.

In one respect it is apparently accurate, not worth anyone going to Swansea >tomorrow as the hearing was moved to H-west yesterday, which the paper >seemed to know about.

Again, 'seemed to know about' tends to suggest covert mutterings in smokey pub bars - again, one simple telephone call is all it takes to extract information in the public domain. No secrets broken, no backhanders, no collusion, not in any way 'dodgy'.

and another point, about the question of bail, etc., - by publishing such >things, the local paper will very likely create conditions where the guilty >party is forced to move out of the area (since no-one will be keen to rent >him property), which hardly helps. This, you could say, is an argument >against granting bail, but it's also an argument for restraint on the part >of the press and others.

Or you could say that it's in the direct interests of public safety to allow the press to make locals aware of a direct risk to the wellbeing of their community? Especially so when the offender concerned has pleaded guilty.

Now - there follows a huge question about this leading to vigilante action - which I do not agree with in the slightest.

I am personally quite happy though, that Luckwill is getting a little taste of his own medicine. I also have a few 'issues' to take up with the University of Wales at Lampeter. They do appear to be very 'accommodating' in other respects, so this should be swiftly resolved.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:51:54 +0100, Mother < "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net> enlightened us thusly:

that's what I thought.

but might in the long run be more useful. I'm not too concerned with minor discrepancies etc., but often the stuff that's printed is plain wrong, and sometimes, people complain and apologies get printed, etc., but by then the damage if any has already been done.

I didn't intend to imply "dodgy". however, on Tuesday at lunchtime Tony was due to appear in court at Swansea on Friday, as far as he knew. Thus it seems that it was moved at quite short notice, or maybe his lawyers didn't inform him, which seems unlikely, or the authorities didn't inform any of them, which seems equally unlikely. Since the paper appears on Wednesday, it must be printed on Tuesday. I suppose they could have checked the details before printing.

which rather begs the question why they didn't publish the website URL. And they had already made the public aware of those details, in a previous article, which was enough to cause Tony's former landlord to ask him to vacate the premises immediately, which may not have been strictly legal. (depends on tenancy agreement, I daresay).

nor me. I don't believe that anyone should resort to such action - and if it starts to become commonplace, we may as well abandon the legal system altogether.

I gather that sentence was not passed on wednesday. dunno why, exactly. I'm sure it will become apparent.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I found out by calling the Court - as I thought I may go and sit in to see him get his just reward. They gave me all of the information I've latterly disclosed. So, why did I call the Court? Luckwit gave it away himself, if you read back, that it was not going to happen.

Simple psychology combined with access to PSTN enables anyone to access the truth these days :-)

[..]

Because if the site contained incorrect information, they may be liable to a claim. That's the lawyers.

But that wasn't the story. The story was pretty much about the site as far as I can see - quite interesting really, must be a very quiet area you live in.

Probably illegal and in any case totally unethical, but Luckwill has a nicer place to stay at present, before his next abode, I guess.

I could tell you why, but I'm busy selling the story to all the Nationals, and Sky, of course for zillions of quid, apparently ;-)

Reply to
Mother

Monty Python's Flying Circus

5th show of the 2nd season, first broadcast 1970/10/27
Reply to
David G. Bell

On or around Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:42:43 +0100, Mother < "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net> enlightened us thusly:

mostly, yeah. Front page news a few years back was "the case of the V sign", about someone who'd made a derisory gesture at a member of the constabulary...

nice work if you can get it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles