The beginning of the end :-/

Still in a country where the greatest race track on the planet* is a public one way road there is still much to enjoy :-)

Kind regards Bruno

Bruno

75 mph on the autobahn?

We regularly do 90+ mph here in gigantic vehicles with a driving population that is let loose on the streets with zero instruction on what the vehicle is doing when you transfer weight while braking and accelerating, counter-steering, or any of the many other things that should be taught for safety.

Environmental reasons....... I assume that a car is putting out more emissions at 110 mph than it is at 75 mph, but then, it is for a shorter time to any given destination. I wonder what the percentage difference is with a typical car.

Pat

Reply to
pws

There's a video

of a Nissan GT-R doing a flying lap of the Nordschleife in 7:38. Pretty damned impressive for a non-MX5 :-)

Not many people know this, but for a long time there was no daytime speed limit in Montana. I used to live in Alberta, Canada and made many high- speed trips through that fine state.

Reply to
Carbon

In 1972, that's where I determined experimentally that my 240Z got 19 mpg at a steady 100 mph. No daytime limit, but IIRC it was 55 at night, prudent considering the deer and pronghorn frolicking after dark.

Instead of a speed limit, the state marked the locations of fatalities: one red pole per wreck, supporting one white cross per death. Some curves were lined with poles. Some poles carried half a dozen or more crosses--entire families, presumably. It certainly got my attention.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ummm, for a long time, there was no daytime speed limit on the Ohio Turnpike. When you entered Ohio, the signs just said "Drive Accordingly."

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Reply to