The dreaded crankshaft problem

I have an early 91 that is over due for a timing belt. What is the problem I hear about a cracked crankshaft, and does EVERY 90 and early 91 have this problem and have to be fixed? Is the fix very expensive?

Pat

Reply to
Pat

No, not all are effected, you need to go to miata.net and do some reading, it's extensively documented there. There are several methods to 'fix' the problem.

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I strongly suggest you do two things:

  1. Use the "loctite fix" regardless of how the keyway looks.
  2. Use a new key and crankshaft pulley

Save yourself a lot of grief.

Best,

Ken