Toyo Tyres Report

Had some T1-S 195 55/R14 Tyres fitted to the 14 x 6 7 Spoke, Hollowish wheels yesterday, ?290 the set.

My previous tyres were 185/60 R14 Dunlop LM701 Le Mans tyres, although there was nothing Le Mans about them except that maybe you could get there and back without causing any wear.

Impressions: As the tyres were only fitted yesterday I have not had any chance to scrub em in yet, so to early to come to any performance impressions. The sidewall has more distinct bulge than the previous tyres due to the wider profile, I also carried out the sidewall strength test with my foot gauge (I kicked the tyres a few times) the completely subjective, non scientific and non reliable conclusion being that the T1-S has a softer sidewall.

The Softer sidewall and/or sidewall bulge are giving a definite softer ride, and by a fair margin, which is really strange as the profile is marginally lower it should be a firmer ride.

As soon as I scrub the tyres in I'll let you know my performance impressions, I have a plan to visit the track soon, so I will let you know the lap time difference, before I get the Ground Control and New brake kit fitted which also arrived yesterday. it was like Christmas all over again.

Cheers Mark

Reply to
gixer

The Toyo T1-S is well-known for having a relatively soft sidewall and a comfortable ride, at the expense of a slightly slower turn-in time than a similar tire with a sidewall that is more firm which produces a harsher ride but doesn't flex as much as the Toyos when you turn. I am not familiar with your previous tires, but it is very likely that the sidewalls on these tires are more firm than the Toyos. If so, then it makes sense that your ride comfort is now improved. The tiny difference in profile height will not make nearly as much difference concerning ride comfort as the difference in tire design.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I had Toyos on my last car, and I will be having them fitted to my Miata when the current tyres are worn.

The grip from Toyos is excellent both in the wet and dry, and they are priced brilliantly too.

Dan TM.

Reply to
Daniel the Manual