Trip and hmmmmm......

But guys, there are always more efficient / less efficient ways to expend said energy. You don't have to blast it all out at once creating a hi performance experience, it could be more 'trickled out' to keep the gas engine from running so much. Lanny seem to understand where I was trying to go with this. Let the electric only help out to the point of ~10 second 0-60 time and that leaves that much more energy still stored up to keep the gas engine off more or longer. IMHO they are missing out on a rather large group of people who'd like to be as efficient as possible and could easily live with even 11 or even 12 second 0-60 sprints. Most non turbo diesels are still pretty darn slow right?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

There's already a way of doing this, at least in my Prius. It involves not putting the pedal to the metal all the time.

Works surprisingly well. :-)

cu .\\arc

Reply to
Marc Gerges

Absolutely. If the point was the car companies big-brothering their customers, they could just hand them directions to the bus stop and build them a car that does not start.

The idea of hybrids is to provide what the customer wants at less gas, not to dictate to them what they want.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Leave it up to us consumers ! Aaaaaarrrgghhh, we can't be trusted! Just kidding, you both make a good point. I guess I just find it hard to believe that they couldn't finagle considerably better mileage if they'd used gearing / electronics that yielded reasonable performance instead of exceptional. If they think the consumer has to have that high performance in order to drop cash for the hybrid, I'm betting they are wrong. However, since it's their cash that's being bet, they've made the trade-offs they no doubt see fit.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo