Trip to California w/o Miata.

I'm back, I know you all missed me terribly, right? ;-)

I was surprised, I posted last week about having to drive the van (2005 Buick Terraza) over so as to have the scooter and scooter lift available for use at the San Diego Zoo and was expecting the twisty parts of the trip over California 74 and 371 to be pretty awful but I was wrong, the van handled the curves way better than I'd expected! It drove around the sharp turns with no fuss at all and did it slower than the Miata but not as much as I'd feared.

The visit to the zoo was fun until the trip home when the freeway traffic slowed to a stop on I-15 and we all stopped except the two cars behind me.

Nobody was hurt, the Buick has a small tear in the rear bumper along with some scratches, the Nissan Titan has the front and rear smashed but was sort of drivable, the Jeep Commander had to be towed. I think Buick wins that round! I suspect I'd have probably been killed if I'd been in the Miata, the Titan would have ridden up over the rear end and, with the Jeep Commander pushing it from behind would have possible come as far forward as ME!

I've reported it to the insurance company and am waiting for the CHP to make the report available, they said it takes 7 working days. Monday I'll get an estimate which should run from around $350 to replace/repair the face bar to a complete total if the sub frame and structure are damaged.... ain't impact bumpers wonderful?

Reply to
XS11E

Yikes, glad to hear that you are OK, really.

Maybe I am dreaming, but the rollbar that I have should be the first thing hit by a truck that runs up over the rear deck in a rear end collision after it has cleared the trunk lid, assuming I have the top down. Otherwise, vinyl first, then the rollbar.

Then it becomes a matter of whether the bolts will hold and whether the tubing will resist bending enough to stop the truck, which I imagine is highly dependent on the total force generated based on the size and speed of whatever has hit me.

It is the thickest tube size that Hard Dog offers, as well as being the tallest one and having double diagonal supports. It is also well-secured in 6 places, so it gives me some hope of avoiding decapitation or being crushed whether it is roadway above my head from rolling over or another vehicle on top of my Miata like that Titan would have been on your's.

In any case, I like having it there better than not. If I'm wrong, nobody will be able to tell me, "I told you so". ;-)

We have A LOT of jacked up trucks and SUV's in this area with a height that will easily slide the trucks' front end over any NA or NB Miata trunk lid in a high-speed rear-end collision, so it is something that I have thought about.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Errrr, make that "whether it is roadway *below* my head from rolling over". I'm pretty sure that it is the car that flips over. The road that the car is traveling on usually remains on the bottom side, if I remember correctly. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Ditto here and in California where I was. Fortunately, the Nissan was stock, otherwise it might have missed the bumper entirely and hit the rear door which would have caused massive body damage and possible have damaged the lift and scooter as well. Pretty scary to think about.

Reply to
XS11E

So, XS11E, what are you having for dinner tonight? Watch any good ball games lately?

I just figured that since we are the only two lost souls left on this board, that it can just be email for us instead. ;-)

BTW, what the hell is your real name? Just a first one would do, we aren't going to start searching Phoenix for you.......

Pat

Reply to
pws

If not, watch for large children.

miker

Reply to
miker

You hit a sore point, I don't have cable. I'm a fan of the Arizona Diamondbacks who sold the TV rights to ALL their games to Fox Sports AZ a couple of years back so I don't see any of those games, I was a fan of Monday Night Football but it moved to ESPN a few years back and, last but not least, I hear the BCS series is moving to cable next year or the year after so it looks like I won't be seeing many ball games at all.... I'm not much of a basketball fan but that's all that's left on broadcast TV.

NOTE: Why don't I get cable? It's really not worth the cost of cable for a few games and I almost never watch anything else on TV but I consider it sometimes.

Nah, Miker chimed in.

Maybe if we hurl insults at Leon he'll come back? ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Ahem, I'm still here, although not as often.

Sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear that you're okay.

We did a short drive yesterday down to Philadelphia to the Simeone Foundation Car Musuem. I had some serious car lust going on with all those sweet racers.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Thanks, I appreciate that.

NOTE: On the trip over, cruising at 70-75mph, the Buick Terraza ran

24.8mpg, I'm a bit surprised that a van with no attempt at aerodynamics could do that.

I'm even more surprised as it's not white so there must be more photon drag*!

*All questions about photon drag must be referred to Leon.
Reply to
XS11E

Thanks.

Yes, I tend to drool a lot at car museums....

Reply to
XS11E

Looks like a nice museum!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Well, Christopher isn't the only Christopher here! I need to start a thread called "Trip to California w/ Miata!" Oh, and what a blast it was!

I will do it!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

We won't believe you. Miatas are not equipped for interplanetary travel and Californicate can't possibly be on the same planet as the rest of the world.....

Reply to
XS11E

well, they say, TX is another world ...... or do they say another country? ;-)

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Northern Mexico, I think?

Reply to
XS11E

That's accurate, hey, we stole it fair and square ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Didn't steal it, don't you know the history?

12 drunken Mexican reservists whipped the Texas forces at the Alamo and, as reparations, Mexico forced the US to take Texas.
Reply to
XS11E

That sounds 'text book' ;-)

Chris