UK MX5: what's the use of a rectifier?

Last week I ordered a Pipercross Inductionkit at mx5parts.co.uk. In the manual a photo was shown with a rectifier on it (photos:

-> upper photo, the block on the front). My '91 Miata doesn't have such a thing and neither do a lot of Miatas and Mx5's at the Dutch MX5-club. Emailing MX5parts.co.uk revealed the rectifier is a UK-only part.Can someone tell me what the rectifier does and why it's not on the other MX5's and Miatas?

Jeroen and the Silver Striped 91B Crystal White Miata

Jeroen Feelders