Clicking in my Steering wheel !

I have a 98 Vectra CDX and over the last 2 months I have noticed clicking in the steering wheel when turning corners . This especialy happens when going around round abouts and is becoming very annoying ! I have had a mechanic to check it and he thinks that it could be the steering rack ?? he has ruled out track rod ends and said that they are ok . So whats the problem ? I have no idea , I have been told all sorts and all will cost me a lot of money to put right which I obviously would like to avoid if possible, but my mechanic is only guessing and dosent realy know . Please any ideas would be appreciated many thanks.

Reply to
Musherboom

There are a few faults that power steering racks can have, but I don't know of any that could cause the clicking you describe.

he has ruled out track rod ends and said that they are

Not necessarily. It could be something very simple, though I would suggest checking the driveshafts. A fault with a CVJ or coupling could transmit to the steering wheel, but without actually hearing it, It's difficult to pin it down to a particular component, apart from saying that IMO it's highly unlikely to be coming from the s/rack. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I've never had the experience of CV faults but conversations have informed me CV faults can result in clicking.

Steering rack clicking doesn't seem right to me, unless you have a loose fitting somewhere and it is 'jumping' on that loose fitting, unlikely however. I'd expect to describe the noise a bit differently to 'clicking'.

Bearings kind of 'hum' in a tone that changes with the speed you are travelling at, CV joints definitely 'click', I am told, when they develop at least one kind of fault.

If it happens when you turn to the left - check the fixtures/fittings/components on the right side, vice versa for turning right. Weight shifts onto the opposite side's components as you corner.

Reply to
Billy H

Either the indicator self cancelling pawls or the clock spring / slip rings for horn / air bag / other steering wheel controls.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

My 96 veccy used to do this - I assumed it was the mechanical indicator cancelling gubbins. Does it still make the noise if you don't use the indicators (when nobody is around, obviously!).

Bob

Reply to
Bob Smith

Is this clicking as you turn the wheel or whilst you're cornering?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hi , The clicking is only when turning the wheel when going round corners, its more to do when turning the steering wheel then actual cornering.

Reply to
Musherboom

Hi, I have taken the car round corners without indicating to see if this is what the problem is but it still makes the clicking noise .

Reply to
Musherboom

If it was the self cancelling doobrie, whether or not you're indicating is irrelevent.

Reply to
Conor

I think you need to explain the clicking a little better. Does the clicking still occur when the steering wheel is not moving? IOW does it only occur when the s/w is actually being moved? And if the former, is it a regular click, or does it vary with speed etc? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I had similar problems. I thought it was a CV joint, then the steering rack. It turned out to be nothing more than anti-roll bar bushes that were perished. For some reason it causes a clicking. Try putting the car in reverse on full lock and moving away slowly, it will do it then too. You will start to notice a squelching noise or similar to rubbing a training shoe over a polished floor when you go over bumps. Try that and see if it makes it better. The garage I took it to had it for a whole day and took everything apart until they found the problem. fortunately they didn't charge for hours and hours of labour. Once fixed it made a hell of a difference, handling was better and there was no noise going over bumps or around corners.

Reply to
ray

Thanks very much for telling me what it could be . I will certainly check the anti roll bar bushes out now that you have mentioned it ! And yes I tried your experiment and yes it does make a noise when reversing so I am hoping that what you have told me will cure the problem many thanks ...Clive aka Musherboom

Reply to
Musherboom

could be the indicator cancel pawls or the steering lock catching on the shaft.

Reply to
Neil - Usenet