Used Miatas are just too darn cheap.

It just breaks my heart. I have a '91 with less than 30k miles, very tasteful modifications and without the "kid racer" look. It looks new. Good used Miatas are so cheap now that it seems pointless to sell them. No, mine is not for sale, but if it were what would be the point? What you get for them can't buy much of anything.

Reply to
Scott

There's still a small market for older Miatas with pristine paint and interiors and very low miles. Every modification detracts from the price, though, unless you're lucky enough to find a buyer who already craves exactly the same mods.

Otherwise, what would you expect for a 13 year old car that was inexpensive to begin with, and is still common as dirt?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I think it is great that the true sports car experience is now available to a large number of people, especially young ones.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'd have to agree - I'm saving up for a MX5 (the UK name for Miata), and they're the cheapest roadster you can get over here too.

It's great that such a good looking, reliable, budget sports car is accessible to this amount of people. The only people I can see it might annoy are the people who want that 'exclusive car' feel, however they should probably invest in something a bit more expensive! I know I'll definatley get a few looks when I pull up to college in an MX5. :o)

Cheers, Dan.

Reply to
Dan

It's both good and bad. I thought I wanted a family car and was thinking about selling my '93 - what it's worth is so low that I decided to look for the family car first and keep the Miata until I find what I want.

Long story short - two years later, I can't find any family/sport sedan I am really excited about and the Miata is still here and doing great. I will probably get a winter beater/family car soon, but the Miata will stay - it's worth so little and brings so much joy - I do not see a reason to sell it.

I also have to say that this might be me - but I find it very liberating to drive such a low value car - I do not need to baby it, I never worry about it being nicked, I don't care if I bounce of the rev limiter. It's fun. Worst case scenario - I can always get another one - they are cheap, baby!

Granted, if you have some investment in one and need the money - it is bad, but generally speaking - it's a great thing. I bought my car in 1996 - it has paid for itself many times over in fun and when you look at the depreciation over such a long time - it is really very reasonable. Of course, because it is such a nice car and I am able to go without another one so far, every day I keep it - it saves me more money :-)

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

If the time comes I need another car, selling my Miata will probably not be an option. I have poured so much money into her "looks", I'd never ever get any of it back. She has the wood steering, hard top I purchased just a couple of years ago. Polished wheels instead of the original alloys. Wood dash stuff, tonneau cover, hard shell aero cover. Hardly used bra with Miata embroidery on it, Borla exhaust. etc etc. Very well maintained. However, I purchased her new in

1989. Engine has 97,000 miles and it is starting to show :-(

I cannot imagine someone else wanting my car with that many miles on her...even though she's been maintained meticulously

'89 Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

probably not be an

ever get any of

couple of years

stuff, tonneau

embroidery on it,

purchased her new in

How is it starting to show, Cissy? There are Miata *out there* with over 200,000 miles on them that are still going strong.

miles on her...even

Someone who needs a car for his/her kid would be perfect. The Miata engine is virtually (nearly) bulletproof - who cares how many miles are on the car as long as it's been maintained.

Iva & Belle.) - who's pushing 95,000 miles '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Not to mention that the annual license fee and insurance are also very low, comparatively.

Reply to
Scott

Uses oil faster than it used to. I know the rings are worn...that sort of thing. Yes, she's still in good shape..it's the little things. Just recently I had to replace the radiator. Things like that.

:) ~Cissy '89 Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

My car is over 14 years old, but the insurance is still on the high side for a car that old :( ~Cissy '89 Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

Miata

Well, mine had 92,000 miles on it when I bought it a couple summers ago. I wouldn't know how a new M1 felt, but at 104,000 miles she feels to me to be as sprightly as ever

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

She has the wood steering, hard top I purchased just a couple of years ago. Polished wheels instead of the original alloys. Wood dash stuff, tonneau cover, hard shell aero cover. Hardly used bra with Miata embroidery on it, Borla exhaust. etc etc.

I forgot to mention she has a new top with another glass window. First top's threading at seems coming apart. I had put in Robbins glass window. When replacing top, I found it easier to replace top and another glass window all together. Lots of money tied up in her!

Now, I find myself smitten with a different car....don't tell Krikkit. I love those Mini Cooper S's. I want BOTH!! LOL ~Cissy '89 Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

Comparatively to what? The full insurance for my 92 Miata is about $800 a year. For my new 2003 BMW 325i, it's $1,000 a year.

-- Marcio Watanabe

Reply to
Marcio Watanabe

My insurance runs $920 a year for both of my vehicles: '87 Toyota 4X4 that has been completely rebuild and hot rodded a bit, upholstered, and painted; and my '91 Miata with 30k miles, lowered 3/4 inch with springs, sway bars, adjustable end links, GAB 8 way adjustable shocks,higher performance brake pads, stainless steel brake lines, 5 additional chassis braces, 15X6 Panasport wheels, Momo steering wheel, headers and exhaust, cold air induction with factory light cover Naca duct scoop, front and rear factory air dams, repainted with top quality European paint with clear coat, and more.

I am a bit envious of your BMW. Lately I have been very attracted to the 328 Ci, almost wishing that the new GTO was a clone of the 328 Ci. A long time ago I owned a '65 GTO. By the way, what is the difference between the 325 and 328?

Anyway, out here in California I was a bit troubled by the prospects of paying a triple car tax. Fortunately the Terminator stepped in and stopped it.

Marcio Watanabe wrote:

Reply to
Scott

3 :-)

Mostly bigger engine.

I don't think that they offer a new 328 anymore - I think now they have a

325 and a 330

Ron.

Reply to
Ron Loewy

Wow, that's great! ~Cissy '89 Miata

Reply to
Expmiata

bought mine with 94k in 96, just did my 60k maintenance (at 180k). my mechanic says another 50-70k out of the engine easy. other than general maintenance, tires, i've only had to replace the clutch once & the spark plug wires. and the top. when this car dies i'm probably buying another used miata - if i get married my wife will get the minivan!.

bc '90 sky blue

Reply to
danseur

Miata

Yeah, she's getting ( I hope) new shocks soon, to replace the worn stock shocks. The cool thing about having an older Miata is that you can upgrade when stuff breaks.

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

My 1996 has 114,000 miles of heavy abuse and is as good as when I bought it new. Uses oil, but as far as I am concerned, that is only a real problem if it is going to take trunk space away from beer.

Never had a problem with the OEM stuff except the Bridgerocks that came with it and the clutch slave cylinder.

Now as far as the aftermarket goodies are concerned...

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I've found that using "aftermarket goodies" has been a good way to keep Sassy (92 Red) fresh and new. Everything I've removed I've saved so that I may someday put it back to original. That'll start the "fresh and new" all over again. This is a one owner car. I bought it new, and will probably be the one to bury it someday. I drove an MGB for 17 years and frankly I got tired of it. I neglected it, and it looked like it. I've yet to not feel that surge of excitement with the Miata. 12 years old this Fall with 85K miles. You think I'll be saying the same thing 12 years from now....knowing that she'll still be running and looking great with 170K on the clock? Jim Jim's Miata Web Page

Reply to
Jim