Mercedes auto gershift

I have a shift issue on a 1983 280SE Benz (w126). The vehicle stood unused for ten years and after some attention is running well. The auto shift is proving troublesome though. All fine from pull off with only an occasional and minor flare between 2 and 3. However it has an almost constant issue from 3 to 4. Strangely enough once out of town and it has selected 4 it behaves perfectly, kicks down to 3 on demand and up shifts fine. It will usually behave thereafter even after stopping and pulling off again. However, soon as it has been parked for even a short time it plays up again. My thoughts are possibly old (but clean and not burned) ATF, clogged filter or similar. Or possibly vacuum settings or Biwden cable. I doubt the valve body, clutches etc in this instance.....your valued thoughts and advice please folks.

Reply to
ancientbenz