need to identify engine

I'm considering a boat purchase- current owner tells me engine is a five-cylinder diesel from a junked 300D- I'm thinking maybe 617?

Thus- two questions: Where do I look (on block) for what for serial #'s etc to identify Ye Beaste? Any pointers / links to discussion of marinized MB diesel use (I've found several European and British "Boat for sale" postings noting 617 as power plant)

thanks

Reply to
td