92 Honda Civic

I have a 92 Honda Civic. I start the car and it just shuts off followed by a strong gas smell. I do not push on the gas to get it started because I know it can flood the car. Sometimes when I am driving it will just cut off on me no matter how fast I am going. Could somebody please help me. Thanks

Reply to
Danielle S via CarKB.com

Does it cut off only after the car has been driven, say, for 20 minutes?

Any revving (up or down of the engine RPM when at stoplights?

First blush guess is the distributor coil is dying. How old is the one in your car?

Also, when was the last time you had the following changed:

fuel filter air filter spark plugs distributor cap distributor rotor spark plug wires distributor ignitor (not a manual-specified routine maintenance item, but probably should be)

"Danielle S via CarKB.com" wrote

Reply to
Elle

No it just won't stay started some times. I have had everything changed except the fuel filter. What scares me the most is I never know when it is going to cut off while I am driving.

Reply to
Danielle S via CarKB.com

I would change the fuel filter first. It's due every 60k miles or 4 years, whichever comes first, anyway. It's not an expensive maintenance item; should cost under $75 total even at the dealer, I figure. If you're handy, you could do it yourself.

Again, though, how old (in miles and years) is the distributor coil?

Do you know how to use a voltmeter (ohmmeter, etc.)?

"Danielle S via CarKB.com" wrote

Reply to
Elle

Does it start right up after you stall out? When it does start does it smell like gas? Does the car buck and hesitate when it stalls or does it just stall without any warning what so ever?

It could be any of the things already mentioned. You may want to run some injector cleaner (a gas additive) through a full tank of good gas.

Also check all the connections to the distributor in that they should be properly seated.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Just one more thought: when it stalls, does the radio cut out? Do the idiot lights on the dash come on? (asking to see if perhaps the ignition switch is bad)

Remco

Reply to
remco

"Danielle S via CarKB.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com:

Your symptoms point to a failing igniter. This could account for the strong fuel smell as well, since raw gas will get dumped out the tailpipe.

What, SPECIFICALLY, item by item, has been done to this car in the last year or so? The word "everything" tells us nothing.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

As an owner of a 2004 civic what is an igniter and where is it located? Bob

Reply to
RJ

"RJ" wrote in news:NzKVe.39937$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Probably on top of the spark plugs, along with the coils.

I don't think you have a distributor.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

"RJ" wrote in news:NzKVe.39937$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

See other message for where yours is.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thank you for your reply. I had to replace my fuel pump.

Reply to
Danielle S via CarKB.com

Thank you for your reply. I had to replace the fuel pump.

Reply to
Danielle S via CarKB.com

Thank you for your reply. I had to replace the fuel pump.

Reply to
Danielle S via CarKB.com

Thank you for your reply. I had to replace the fuel pump.

Reply to
Danielle S via CarKB.com

"Danielle S via CarKB.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@CarKB.com:

So if I understand you correctly, nothing at all has been done to this car within the last year but the replacement of the fuel pump, and now you have this stalling problem?

Reply to
TeGGeR®