1973 Super Beetle Stock Steering Wheel

Does anyone know where I can find a 1973 stock steering wheeling for a 1973 Super Beetle?

Thanks!

Reply to
Stephen Lucas

...on a 73 super beetle.

...Glad I could help

=-)

..Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

...........you call that help?

.....even I could have said that but you beat me to it.

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Mhh, i am in South Africa and know of a beetle standing and rusting away in the savannah about 1 hr from here. I pass there about times a week and will check if the steering wheel is there and if yes, in which shape. The engine is gone, long ago, i know that as the back is open, otherwise i would have taken the engine out already. I post it here in the group if it´s there.

Bart Bervoets

"Tim Rogers" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de...

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Thanks, Bart! Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Lucas

The only thing is, I hope you're not in a hurry because these people take FOREVER to get anything done. After about 8 weeks I finally told them to just sell me an unrestored wheel so I could drive my super beetle.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Thanks, Chris--I just emailed them. I'm in no hurry--I just want to replace the small racing wheel with a stock wheel.

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Lucas

I checked it today but the wheel is in very bad shape. If i see another one, i post it. If it was a bus one, no problem, have several.

Bart Bervoets "Stephen Lucas" schreef in bericht news:1caIc.35454$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr28.news.prodigy.com...

Reply to
Bart Bervoets

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Stephen-

They come up on ebay occasionally. Be sure to get the part number because 72-79 wheels look the same but 72-73 wheels have a larger spline.

Here's a pretty nice '72-'73 wheel without the center pad/horn button:

And here's a '72-up center pad/horn button without a wheel:
And another button:
And another
And another
And another
A good steering wheel makes a big difference in overall driving enjoyment. I upgraded my craked wheel with broken button (non-working horn) to a nice original padded wheel and my life is so much better now as I putter along swerving with glee and honking at anything at the slightest provocation.

My wheel has the little sticker with instructions how to start the car:

TO START ENGINE: -Sit down -Buckle up -Turn key

Although I'm confident that I will eventually commit these instructions to memory I'll probably leave the sticker there (in case someone needs to borrow my car). Then again, if I remove it, it might be good theft prevention.

Ted '77std Sacramento

Reply to
Ted

Thanks, Ted--these were great leads--I appreciate you taking the time and effort to look them up!

Stephen

Stephen Lucas

Where are you located? I have an unrestored 73 super wheel attached to the steering column in my garage.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Hi Dennis,

I'm in central Illinois. What kind of shape is the steering wheel in?

Steve

Reply to
Stephen Lucas

...likely round

=-)

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

I live in south central Iowa. I will check out the wheel and write back today.

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

The wheel is cracked in several places and not a good one at all. Sorry

href="

">Den's 1978Puma

Reply to
Dennis Wik

Thanks, Dennis--I appreciate the try! Take care, Steve

Reply to
Stephen Lucas