240D seats

I would like to upgrade the front bucket seats in my 78 240D. They are in good shape just not that comfortable. Are there any newer Mercedes seats in a Palomino color that might fit with some modification? Any other brands that would closely match the Palomino color?

Reply to
Steve Peterson

One can replace the seat cushion with a new M-B pad, also available from some on-line M-B parts vendors.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Recaro?

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I am thinking of seats out of a wrecked car. Someone here must have swapped out the originals for something better.

Reply to
Steve Peterson

I just checked on springs and pads. Spring $315.00 ea. pad $175 ea That seems like quite a chunk of change to repair the seats. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

And what would be a better seat?

Maybe you should rebuild yours? it makes an immense difference.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Recaros are more than that. Hey it aint cheap to rebiuld the seats but they're more like well built furniture in the way they're engineered than say Buick or Toyota seats. My 67 coupe came with rebuilt seats. My god...

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I would think a newer Mercedes might have better seats. I was hoping someone here had made a seat swap that worked both in color and fit but I guess not. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson
[new seats for '78 240D]

Seconded. The lower cushions of W123 front seats tend to get mashed down on the outside edge due to people putting their weight there as they get in and out of the car. I had the one in my '85 300D replaced (just the cushion), and I was amazed at the improvement. It wasn't just that one asscheek was no longer lower than the other; the entire cushion had flattened out and softened far more than I'd realized. (The cost was $400 parts and labor, and worth every penny.)

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

I sized up a pair of seats out of a low mile 1996 C class. They look to be a good fit and the color is close. I think the sheepskin covers will even fit. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peterson

Why not swap out the horsehair pad for foam pads from your local rag shop? If you like... you can put in memory foam... viscoelastic from cheap bed topper. Which would do your entire car!

Reply to
Tiger

Nah, I don't think newer ones are better at all. I think the seats in the

111/112 cars were the best, from the early sixties. And by a large margin.
Reply to
Richard Sexton

Excellent. I'll be interested to know if there are any compatibility issues with the mounting hardware or the spacing of the places in the floorpan where the tracks attach.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

Tiger suggests:

Would it be a hassle to get generic pads shaped properly to fit the seats' bolsters? He wouldn't want to end up with seats like those from some '70s Datsun, with nice, sculptured styling but no lateral support.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

The horsehair pad is flat piece... not contoured as you think it might be. Even if it is contoured... you can simply shape the foam to your liking.

Reply to
Tiger