Stalling & hesitating start at first

Hi all, My 96 E320 has started some new behaviour in the last few weeks of the

8000km that I've owned it. It will stall if you try and back out of the garage in the first 45 seconds after starting it, and if you wait the minute until it doesn't stall, it jumps and slows, jumps and slows for the first minute of driving - then all is fine and normal after that (apparently after the temp gauge comes off the peg)

The car didn't use to do that, and inviting all flame mails, I put 7000km (4400 miles) on it using regular gas. (In Canada its about $10 a tank cheaper). Is it really me being a cheap bastard or is there something else my local (excellent) MB mechanic can fix when he does the ball joints next month. The last oil change was at the local dealer ($200 - never again)

8000km (5000 miles) ago when I first bought the car.
Reply to
Shawn

Sounds like your temperature sensor for the engine is bad... giving you cold start problem.

Reply to
Tiger

Oh man. If you're cheaping out on gas, then you're owning the wrong car. It's like buying groceries. Arguing over 10c difference from the shelf price and the checkout price, but when it comes to buying the big expensive goodies, you don't bat an eye. What's wrong with people today?

Reply to
R Green

The cold start system isn't working and the engine's control system can't offset the deficiency during the first few minutes - thus the erratic performance for the first few minutes.

Fix the cold start and the other will be resolved as well.

Using regular fuel in a 10:1 compression engine, especially in hot weather is a bit self defeating because the engine's knock sensors instruct the computer to retard the ignition which reduces power.

Forget the Km / L reading; compare Km/ $. I suspect there will be some, but not too much difference, between regular and premium.

And about being cheap with respect to these cars - don't, there are no shortcuts, cheaping out comes back to bite YOU, nobody else.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach