'79 MB 240d Transmission drain seal?

I changed the transmission fluid and filter on my 240d.

I did not notice a seal around drain bolt, it leaked badly, did not want to overtighten.

I made a gasket out a piece of rubber, which slowed the leak down considerably. But still leaks.

What goes on the drain bolt to seal, and where do I find it?

Jerry

Maybe 'tis a stupid question, but 'tis mine own.

Reply to
We are not here to play, to dream, to drift

There should be a gasket on there I bet... Try making one out of thick paper instead of rubber.

Or your local hardware store might have one in the plumbing odds and sods department...

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Whenever you change oil the filter should also be changed. I buy my filters from a guy on eBay at a great price and buy 10 at a time. These filters come with a copper gasket which is used on the oil drain plug. You cannot use a soft gasket like rubber or cork for this. It must be metal, preferably copper. My filters come with both steel and copper gasket rings. Good luck.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks