87 300E grill paint

The plastic grill (inside chrome shell) on my '87 300E is very faded looking.

Anyone know what the original color looked like? My guess is charcoal gray. Metallic? Gloss, semi, or flat?

TIA, Joe

Reply to
Joe Rutledge

They look super Satin Black...

Reply to
AJDalton7

The MB plastic grill inserts were grey from the factory. If you have a dark colored car, spray painting them gloss black is a noticable improvement. Some owners have painted the grills the same body color for an integrated look. Just a few tips if you're going to paint: There's bumper and trip paint that has a flex additive that may resist cracking and chipping better than enamel; you're going to need a couple of cans of paint for just the grill since there's a lot of waste and a lot of surface area to paint; finally, don't forget to paint the hood release tab.

Reply to
Mark Ichiyama

I hadn't gotten to the door handle issue yet, but would think that paint would scratch and/or wear quickly?

Joe

Reply to
Joe Rutledge