88 MERCEDES 260E QUESTION

1988 MERCEDES 260E WHILE DRIVING IT FAST OR SLOW HOT OR COLD SOMETIMES THE ENGINE JUST DIES. WHEN THE CAR FINALLY STOPS, I TURN THE KEY OFF AND TRY TO RESTART. AFTER 2 OR 3 TRIES IT FINALLY STARTS AGAIN.DOESN'T HAVE PROBLEM STARTING COLD, JUST AFTER IT DIES. THE DEALER REPAIR SHOP SAID COULD,NT PIN POINT PROBLEM SPECIFICALLY, BUT SAID THE DISTRIBUTOR CAP & ROTOR, PLUGS, ARE WORN DOWN. COULD THIS CAUSE THIS TO BE HAPENNING? COULD THE CAP AND ROTOR BE LOSING CONTACT,CAUSING THE ENGINE TO DIE FROM TIME TO TIME? $600 REPAIR BILL, DONT WANT TO PAY IF THIS DONT FIX THE PROBLEM? PAID $150 JUST TO HAVE LOOKED AT. OR COULD THIS BE THE TIMING BELT OR FUEL FILTER GOING OUT? IT DONT SEEM TO HAVE ANY PROBLEM DRINKING GAS! HAVEN'T HAD ANY ENGINE PROBLEMS EXCEPT THIS ONE. I WISH THE PROBLEM WOULD JUST HAPPEN FOR GOOD SO I CAN PINPOINT AND FIX IT, INSTEAD OF NAGGIN ME. TRYING TO HOLD OFF ONE MORE YEAR BEFORE GETTING ANOTHER VEHICLE. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY
Reply to
BENZO

Fuel Pump Relay

Reply to
Dennis Wyatt

Can also be caused by fuel accumulator not maintaining constant pressure

Reply to
r parris

I removed my fuel pressure accumulator (in audi) and the only difference is I have to crank an extra second or so when cold.

cp

Reply to
cp