'93 300E 124 cranks, but won't start

I got in one morn, cranked it over, it began to start, I let up on the key and now it'll just crank, crank, crank with NO hint of starting.

TIA for any help.

Reply to
Simon Cowell

Any history to this?

It takes fuel and spark to make a motor run. One of these is missing, your task is to determine which is needed.

Remove a spark plug to see if it's wet with fuel -- or not. If dry, I suspect the fuel pump relay or fuel pump itself is bad (or the tank is dry). I'd discount a dirty fuel filter for it would let some gas through, at least enough to briefly start the motor. Check the battery connections to be sure they're tight and all wires (to fuel pump) are connected.

If wet, the spark is missing because there's a fault somewhere in the ignition system, including ignition switch.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I would suspect the overload relay first... very common problem.

Reply to
Tiger