94 sl600 shocks/struts installation?

Hi all, I have an sl600 1994 and I had to replace the levelor a few miles ago. It rides rough and I mentioned that to the mechanic and he said it may be something other than shocks. I have done all kinds of work on my cars and the sl is one I do what I can on since it is so expensive. I got cds for the car on ebay but they are way to complex to install. Typical Mercedes. Question: Is the front a shock or a strut? Could I buy these and install them myself or does the levelizor make that a major problem. Is it as simple to replace these as other cars or do I have to deal with hydrolic factors? How can install these if I get the right tools. I would think I would have to pay 3-500$ for each of these so I would like to install myself if possible. I want to replace front first since the engine must weigh more than the Empire State building. Also, what is the other possibility besides shocks/struts that could make the car ride rough??

Reply to
SW

If it has hydraulic suspension and there is no travel in the strut(s), the accumulator(s) have failed, rarely does anything happen to the struts other than leaks.

replace all accumulators at the same time as they're lifespan is the same.

Reply to
taxman