Automatic gearbox jammed in park

I have a 2002 S class 280 it will not shift out of park. The brake lights all work. I have tried taking pressure off the drive train by
rocking it and even tried it with a tow rope pulling against it to ease any pressure on it. This has never happened befor, HELP!!!
I think it is brake switch that is bad... there is two switches in there... one for light and one for tranny. Your owner's manual should tell you how to get the gear out of Park in event it doesn't work.
Once you do so, it will verify everything in transmission is fine.
Tiger wrote:

Exactly right, but to be more specific there is a circular hole near the top of the shift lever gate. It is possible to put a pencil down this hole and disengage the lock. Now it should be possible to move the shift lever out of Park. You should find instructions in the user manual.
I always kept a pencil handy for this operation. Eventually I had my local garage clean and lubricate the brake pedal switch and the problem went away.
Mercedes ought to provide the pencil but it would probably rust.