Brake lights not working 1983 300D

Hi,

The brake lights on my car stopped working last week. The bulbs are still good, and all of the fuses are still intact. All other lights work fine, including the tail lights, blinkers...

Any ideas?

Does anyone know which fuse corresponds to the brake lights on this model and year? Maybe I can try replacing it even though they all look ok?

Could it be the brake light switch that's at the pedal? How do I access this and what do I look for?

Is there any particular wiring that might be related that I should check?

Anyone have this problem with their car??

Thanks for your ideas-- Kate

Reply to
kategrindlay

Fuses are cheap. replace them first and eliminate that possibility. Also, clean the fuse holder connection with the eraser of a pencil before installing the new fuses.

If you get a manual, it will tell you how to get to the switch. I'm pretty sure even those awful Haynes manuals have that information. They're cheap and at any parts store. If it turns out to be the switch, you're going to need the manual to change out the switch.

Make sure someone hasn't tried wiring in a trailer light package. My brake lights failed in my TD and in the spare well was a forgotten trailer wiring harness. Since there was no hitch, I never expected to find something like that.

Reply to
PTinOR

Thanks a lot--

I think it must be a fuse issue, even though the all LOOK ok, it may be the contacts? I will try starting with this like you suggested, but dont want to replace all the fuses-- do you know which fuse corresponds to the brake lights? My fuse box doesnt have a diagram, and the manual from the auto shop doesnt either. Do you happen to know, are these standard layouts? My car is an '83 300D

Kate

PT> > Hi,

Reply to
kategrindlay

Pull the fuse out to check...alot of time it is the fuse that look oksy but corroded and gone when pulle out. Otherwise, it would be your brake switch.

Reply to
Tiger

Do you know which fuse it is? I don't have a diagram...

Kate

Tiger wrote:

Reply to
kategrindlay