Bumpers "popped" on 380 SL

The American version of the 107 model have great protruding bumpers to comply w/ the 5MPH Law of no damage. Well I have looked at several other 107's and their bumpers are at least 1-1.5" closer to the body then mine. The little horizontal black skirts between bumper and body fill the entire space and you can't see the ground. I can see the bumper cylinders and ground clearly on mine. They look like they have "popped" out. Is there a way to reset the cylinders so my bumpers are closer to the body?

Chip

Reply to
Chip

No, that distance absorbs the 5 mph impact.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

I have a 1983 380SL and the bumper is close to the body. What model is yours? The 5 MPH bumper may have started at a later date from 83.

Reply to
Tom Mills

1981

To answer Lambach- Then how come the other 107s (like above) have the bumpers closer?

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Chip,

I'm not certain which position is correct, but on my '81 the bumper is sticking out, like on yours.

Reply to
Michael J. Astrauskas

I believe the difference you are seeing is between the cars produced for the US market and so called "grey market" cars, or ones imported from Europe. As well certain numbers of pre-5mph bumpers exist as well.

If it bothers you, I think it is possible to retrofit your car with "grey market" bumpers from a euro import.

Reply to
me