changing ball joint on 92 190E

Hi

Well the passenger side ball joint started sounding like the car is scraping on cement every time I turn. jacked it up and crawled under while my wife turned the wheel. Seems to be the ball joint on the pasenger side.

Is that a press in unit and does a standard ball joint press work or is it some special MB tool to do the job??

Thanks C Peters

Reply to
C Peters

Hi I realise you are in Canada I am in the UK 1991 190E 2ltr and I have just had the same problem and all were worried that pressing the joint out may need the application of high heat and high pressure and the correct instruments to get the new joint in without damaging it pressing on the wrong spot

I found a garage to do it but they reported that one of the front bushes on the lower wishbone was bad. and a test failure but I had to get them to build it back and I will have to get a new bush / wishbone I found after the event to be only £80 UK P (162 can$) MB was £299 (600 can$)

In the long run it maybe easier and long term cheaper to get a new lower Wishbone than have my problem of double repair bill

Bob

Reply to
Bob

It is cheaper to just buy the lower control arm aseembly... at least you will get all the new bushings and ball joint... The job is dangerous however... you need INTERNAL spring compressor to remove the spring before the job. Do not use strut spring compressor...

Reply to
Tiger

Hey thanks

I found a control arm for $285 CDN locally and did the repair in my garage. Much Much better now.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply to
C Peters