Cup holders?

Those aftermarket folding cup holders just aren't terribly effective. Has anyone found an alternative that looks good. This is for a '92 300D

JD

Reply to
JD

Ernie Willson

Don't know if it fits yours but for my '81 380 SL a Walmart cheappy $4.99 console "2-cup holder and general set of bins" turned backwards fits exactly between the seats and works great. I notched the front and rear flanges to fit over the side humps on the SL console. The 2-cup holder fits just back of the power window switches and the rest tucks neatly under the arm rest. Almost looks like OEM.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

I took a piece of oak, cut two 2.75 inch holes in it. Then took a router with a 3/8" radius bit and relieved the top of each hole. Sealed and stained the oak and have been happily using it for past several years in my 87 300SDL center console. Of course, in the SDL the console is open so the oak sits on top, prevented from sliding by a spacer block. Looks good and is quite functional. Took about 30 minutes to cut, bore, relieve, etc...

If if could have found zembrano wood, I'd have used that. Cost was a factor as was time.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

I was wondering when cup holders were going to be a discussion in a Mercedes group.

Personally, I bought the $0.99 cup holder from Target that hangs on the door. Its opening is adjustable (flexing plastic) so it holds anything, but its right in the way of the door handle and the dash side vent. So, its not perfect. I thought about adding one to the center console with wood like others have mentioned, but I always have the armrest down, so it isn't practical for me. I like the suggestion of the one that slides between the seat and the console (the wedge). As soon as I find one cheap enough (less than $10) I'll probably get one of those, I haven't seen the $5 one at Wal-mart, but I haven't been there in awhile.

Reply to
DougS

Tried the wedge and all it was good for was slipping and sliding, esp if you ever move the seat. Also the cup is too close to your elbow. Mine never fit right and tilted a lot. I hate the door or window hung units because they spill when closing the door.

I suggested the WalMart unit because it was the best looking, most stable, and usable (and cheapest!) unit I tried after going through all the above types. I have my armrest down all the time but it doesn't cover the cup holders only the body of bins, therefore hiding most of the stuff there from prying eyes.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

If you have a DIN slot available there's a very nice cup holder/coin holder from the mid 90s Ford line available at your local wreaking yard. Phil Brown

Reply to
Phil Brown

can you link a picture? to seek for him on ebay thnks

Reply to
Dr_Chino

Speaking of cup holders -- I don't carry drinks in my ML350, so the cup holders just hog space in the console. Anybody know of something made to go in these and convert them into more useful storage?

Reply to
Lloyd

Just get the cheapest 2-cup side-by-side console model at any Big Box or auto store. Get one where the bins' section is low, that tucks under the armrest. The cup holders themselves will then be in front of the armrest behind the power window switches. Be sure to notch the front and back flanges of the holder to just fit over your car's console raised edges. This gives it great stability. If you get the right model, it almost looks OEM.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

One word: iCup Don't know where, but a friend of mine got one for my brother to hold his iPod. Its basically a piece of foam rubber that fits in a cup holder and has a couple of slots and holes to hold various things, like cell phone, ipod, pens, etc. He doesn't use it anymore, let me know if you want it.

Reply to
DougS

I'm not sure I follow. I thought you were talking about the wedge type at first. The only thing I have seen that looks like what you describe are the ones that are made to sit on the carpet on the "hump" in the middle of the floor. The ones like that I have seen are too wide to fit in the center console of my MB. A link to a picture would be helpful, even if it was a link to Wal-mart's site. Although I checked there, and there's nothing on their website.

Reply to
DougS

DougS wrote: The only thing I have seen that looks like what you describe

OK, for all those who desire this info I went to my local WalMart this morning. It is called a "Contour Console", sells for a staggering $3.16, and is Walmart's #0005-1070-0291, in the Automotive section. It is manufactured by "Texas Saddlebags" Mod#558. It has a bar code of

7 39214 55811 2. I couldn't find it on Walmart's web site either. But found this
If that doesn't do it, sorry. Anything similar should work as well.

Chip

Reply to
Chip

Thanks for your effort, i had a 1993 W140 and really dont know which kind can fit and where put it

Best regards

Reply to
Dr_Chino