Diesel purchase question

I am talking about a simple way that an individual can *lessen* the amount of cash that goes to oil producing contries and *increase* our energy independace

OK, we are not really deforesting the US for farmland anymore, so that does not apply, we may as well subsidize FUEL production, I think that is a legitimate use of government money, so I don't have a problem with that.We use oil in current fertilizers because that is the cheapest current way to do it, this may continue, or not, but is not in my "circle of control" so I can't act on it.

I think that if more people use it, the "economies of scale" will apply and it will get more efficient in the conversion of energy. But people have to start using it for there to be any interest in investing. So I use my cash to buy the more expensive fuel now, in hopes that this will get the ball rolling.

We already have a great deal of farmland that is being underused, I really can't think of anywhere that we are "clearing land for farmland" in the US kansas is pretty clear at this point. we do have water problems, but I think that is not an insurmountable issue, when compared to continued energy dependance and the costs associated with that (IE the current defense budget)

conservation will just slow the inevitable, it is not an answer, only a delaying tactic. we need a different flavor of fuel or a totally different type of society. I think a new type of fuel is less trouble.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

Yes, I'm running mine on biodiesel. I have a '79 240D with the engine out of a 300SD, with 4 speed manual tranny. On regular diesel I was getting about 22-24 mpg both city and highway, on biodiesel I'm averaging more like 26-28. That's in U.S. gallons. Biodiesel costs about 10% more than ordinary, and there is only one station in the area selling it, fortunately, only a few miles from my house, but the increase in mileage is worth an extra 10-15 cents a gallon.

Rochelle

Reply to
R & K

Where are you? Are you talking about B100? It costs $3.00 per gal. here.Or are you talking about B20?

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard Farquart

I'm in Boise, Idaho. I believe it was B20. Unfortunately, when I drove by the station yesterday, they were closed. :( The other "Kicks 66" stations in our area only sell regular diesel. I hope it is not permanent. Ordinary diesel is running about $1.99 - $2.09, and biodiesel about $2.19 or so.

Rochelle

Reply to
R & K

Such is my experience.

Reply to
Gogarty

I got 30 + avg MPG in my 95 diesel, 5 cyl.

Reply to
127.0.0.1

The 3.8 litre gallon or the 4.5 litre gallon?

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

US gallon