DIY replacement of 1999 ML320 brake pads

My wife's 1999 ML320 needs new brake pads. Not sure if 2 or all 4 need replacement. I've done lots of pad replacement myself on other cars, and feel I should be able to do this job myself also.

Before possibly getting into a bad situation (worst scenario is I remove a pad and cannot complete the new pad installation), can anyone point me to easily available information sources -- i.e., diagrams, step-by-step procedure for pad replacement, special tools I will need, etc.?

Or, will it be so obvious what to do, once I have the wheel off, that I should not anticipate the possibility of anything difficult being encountered?

Thanks.

Reply to
A.E. Eckberg

If you worked with fixed caliper, then you would how to do it. The front is floating caliper pretty common.

Reply to
Tiger

If you've done other disk brake replacements, then you'll have no trouble. The only part that can be slightly tricky is if you plan to remove the rotors. They tend to be stuck to the hub, so some "cautious persuasion" is necessary to break them loose. This website has some good tips:

Look in the FAQ section, then scroll to the bottom. It's labeled "How do you change the brake pads?"

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

If rotor is stuck, that is very easy to remove... simply get a good size hammer and hit all around the centering hub...the rotor will just bounce loose.

If you do have a bolt holding the disc in, remove it first.

Reply to
Tiger

Yes, but be careful not to damage the hub!

Otherwise, it will take *much* hammering to remove the rotor. :-)

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

Best tools in the box, a bloody big hammer and a lot of obscenities. Otherwise, it's out with the angle grinder or the gas torch. [My cars are of course in appalling condition] Cheers.

Reply to
Classic Car Fair

Really guys... just don't hit that hub lip where the wheel sit on... just whack it hard on the rotor disc around the hub lip and it will literally bounce off.

Reply to
Tiger

Christ! Bloody Hell! I gave it a good wack and my front suspension fell to the ground! Right off the car! I used a jack to lift the front end to see what had come apart in the suspension and the engine supports came loose and the engine fell out the front grill! That pulled the transmission forward and that that pulled my exaust system out as well. OMAGAWD! Sacre Blu! My car is screwed! I went to the local bar to drown my sorrow and when I got back home my wife was gone. She took my kids and left a note that said she "loves the milk man more than a drunken husband.Goodbye" Thanks for the advice Mate! And f*ck you up the arse with a Liverpool suede Brush!!

Reply to
SW

Mmm... a nice one SW...

Reply to