Radio question.

The radio on my Miata expired some time back and the previous owner agreed to get me a replacement. Who know one that will fit in the space provided?

I'd like AM/FM/CD with presets and not real expensive, is there such a critter? I need make and model number please.

Thanks!

Reply to
XS11E

Tom Garrett

"Tom Garrett" wrote in news:r4bVd.147190$0u.101875@fed1read04:

Reply to
XS11E

XS11E wrote in news:Xns960CDA4038E7Exs11eyahoocom@68.1.17.6:

Hey, I also found this:

There's a bunch for $99.99, good selection.

Reply to
XS11E

You might contact Miata electronics guru Jeff Anderson, who may be able to bring it back to life for small change. Poke around on miata.net for Jeff's email address.

Or just install a loud muffler and forget about the radio. Works for me.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny Chambers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newssvr12-ext.news.prodigy.com:

Neither I nor the previous owner have the critter. His description sounds to me like a 3 minute fix but he didn't, he pulled it and had an plumbing school dropout install a horrible $1,300 kludge that I generously told him he could keep if he'd get me a usable radio, not something off some space craft that he didn't know how to work himself!

Installation is going to be fun, plumbing school dropout and now full time radio installer cut wires, broke plastic, bent, prodded, massaged and got the kludge to partially work, he didn't even know the car has headrest speakers and hadn't hooked them up, now he's going to try and install a radio in my car. Wanna bet I'll be watching with an eagle eye?

Not for me, I plan on making a run to California to see my sister in a week or so, I want a radio, the freeway gets very boring... but I'll enjoy highway 74 and 371 from Palm Desert to Aguanga! I hope I run into little traffic, the curves tend to slow the flatland tourists down to 3.7mph on a 45mph road.

Reply to
XS11E

It's not as though you can hear the radio anyway through those bloody ear plugs.

;)

Reply to
gixer

You are in the vast majority, otherwise the stereo would not be standard equipment on even low cost vehicles. The only people that I have ever been a rider with who did not have a working stereo in their car (that they also used with some regularity) were people who had either had it stolen, had it quit working, or were driving a dedicated track car. In all but the latter case, the person wanted it replaced or fixed.

Pat

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:iIjVd.5362$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.texas.rr.com:

It's an absolutely ESSENTIAL thing for me, if I turn the volume up loud enough it drowns out my singing and if you've ever heard me sing you'd know how important that is! As long as I can't hear myself I can think, "Hey, that's pretty good!"

Reply to
XS11E

Ah, but you can. At least you can with decent speakers and anything that will put out 25 Watts or better.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Guess I'm in the minority. My 95 R had its radio stolen about three years ago; since then, I've been happy with the music of the Borla... 8;)_

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Heh, good one, Mark. But not true--my earplugs filter out most of the bass and roll off the top end (as designed), but it's actually easier to hear the lyrics, and I don't have to crank up the volume, either.

But in general, only my wife uses the radio. There's nothing on it anymore that I want to hear. OTOH, I can listen to my loud FM Duals all day...and do.

I don't even know if the cassette player works--in 8 years, it's never been used.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I agree that there is not much on the radio that I want to listen to anymore, but I want my stereo/CD player/possibly MP3 player. No thanks on the cassette player.

My exhaust is also pleasing to hear, somewhat quieted by the turbo but still plenty loud at 3 inches all the way back including the cat. Sometimes I turn the stereo on, sometimes I leave it off, the option is nice. I drove a car alone with a broken stereo on a 400 mile trip and found it to be a less pleasant drive than if it had worked. To each their own, I was just pointing out that most people want a stereo so that they can listen to more than just their exhaust note, no matter what it sounds like. I am sure that a poll would agree with this, otherwise we would see posts about people taking out their radios, complaining about the automatic feature that they are in a miata, etc., instead of asking how to fix and replace them.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Just having a 95 R puts you in the minority. Do you have A/C? Buying a daily driver in Texas that intentionally had a working A/C system removed definitely puts me in the minority here as well. :-)

Pat '91 turbo (no A/C and no P/S)

Reply to
pws

pws wrote in news:DVkVd.7512$ snipped-for-privacy@fe2.texas.rr.com:

Traffic reports, they've saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

Reply to
XS11E

Sure it would. I'm just not part of the iPod generation. I don't need to hear constant background music to keep from getting bored.

There are three main reasons why car radios don't interest me:

  1. My living room stereo long ago reached a level of quality that has has spoiled me for car radios (or Walkmen/iPods/MP3).

b. The classical music I prefer is too dynamic to play in a noisy car.

iii. In a convertible, cranking up the radio to be heard over the wind is pretty much a guarantee of permanent hearing loss. Except with earplugs, but that's another thread... :-)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I am not sure if I am part of the "iPod generation" or not, but I am certain that you don't have to be in order to enjoy a stereo in a car, be it a convertible or not. People have enjoyed their radios in their convertibles long before iPod or MP3's came about. From my previous post, "Sometimes I turn the stereo on, sometimes I leave it off, the option is nice." How does this translate into constant background music for you? Do you always have the stereo in your living room turned on? That kind of constant background music at home would drive me nuts, unless of course, you turn it off once in a while like most people.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I had two 323's and neither had a radio nor A/C. If my 02 miata would have been available without either or both I wouldn't have them in the miata either.

I live in Central California so it's not like I live in some mild climate. Back when I had the 323's I would run to Laughlin or Primm, Nv. as ofen as I got the chance. The stretch from Barstow to Needles would weed out the weak ones when it came to repeat performances. :)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tom

Tom wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wouldn't need the AC here in Phoenix if I was 50 again but as I get older.....

Reply to
XS11E

AC plays hell with my sinus....to be cool isn't enough payoff for being all dried up with a splitting headache when I get to where I'm going.

It seems the older I get (on the darkside of 50) the more welcome the heat is.