How to spot water pump oil leak

About six months ago I had the water pump replaced on my 95 E320. Now I have droplets of oil of the floor of my garage. What can I look at under the engine to tell if the oil pump is the culprit? I've pulled the plastic cover off of the bottom of the engine and the oil *seems* to be coming from the front lower left (when looking at the car) of the engine, but I cannot pinpoint the source.

Thanks.

Reply to
Josh

Engine's oil pump is inside the sump so this leak is not from the oil pump.

With the engine OFF, I'd wipe off the power steering pump, including its bottom, to see if it's the source; it's located left front - about where you sense the leak.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Where is the water pump (rather than the oil pump) located? Since this was recently replaced I want to see if it is the source.

Thanks.

Reply to
Josh

Waterpump is behind fan...but as said...it's the WATER pump...so no oil there.

Could be many other places...if it's not obvious..have the engine steam cleaned...then see where it's coming from ooh and...pay attention to the color of the puddle... motor oil...brown/black steering fluid and trans ...red

merry x-mas

alex

"Josh" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:bNgGb.173397$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

Is there not a gasket between the engine block and the water pump that could leak oil? The color is brown/black, so I suspect it is engine oil.

Reply to
Josh

no, there is not a direct connection the waterpump just flansches into a depression of the motor block

have u checked valve cover gasket? that's a favorite place to leak on these guys next would be chain tensioner.. sometimes it's just as simple as the oilpan drain plug or oilpan seal

is the hole engine covered in oil...or just the bottom...this would help the process of elimination whats the mileage?

many gift for x-mas

"Josh" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:JJhGb.173403$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.southeast.rr.com...

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

There 107K miles on the engine. Only the bottom of the engine is covered with oil - no signs of oil anywhere on top (or anywhere that I can shine a light from above). I checked the oil drain plug - it seems tight.

Reply to
Josh

yes there is a gasket, but as said, this gasket seals water only! so forget waterpump, if you habe an oil leak

places for well known OIL leaks come down to this:

1) oil drain plug 2) oil filter / filter housing 3) oil pan gasket 4) valve cover gasket 5) chaintensioner 6) front crankshaft seal 7) rear crankshaft seal (transmission) 8) head gasket 9) if present, oil cooler and its circuit 10) happy x-mas
Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

OK - thanks for the leads. I'll clean the bottom of the engine and see if I can spot any of these as the source.

Reply to
Josh

| There 107K miles on the engine. Only the bottom of the engine is covered | with oil - no signs of oil anywhere on top (or anywhere that I can shine a | light from above). I checked the oil drain plug - it seems tight.

I'll ask the obvious question. How much oil are you seeing? Is it the oil that's covering the bottom of the engine or is it dripping on the ground? If dripping just how much? Also how much oil are you adding between oil changes?

Reply to
Not Me

It's not dripping much oil - maybe less than 1/5 of a quart between 3K oil changes. The oil seems to be accumlating under the oil pan (as well as some on the lower hoses, etc. on the forward portion of the engine)m, dripping onto the protective plastic cover, and then dripping to the ground.

Reply to
Josh

So how does a happy christmas cause oil leaks huh ?

Reply to
Bill

| It's not dripping much oil - maybe less than 1/5 of a quart between 3K oil | changes. The oil seems to be accumulating under the oil pan (as well as some | on the lower hoses, etc. on the forward portion of the engine)m, dripping | onto the protective plastic cover, and then dripping to the ground.

This seems to be what most would consider a 'nuisance' leak AKA seepage.

There is a florescent dye that is put in the oil and illuminated with a UV lamp that will show the source of the leak. I've seen this done but never had the occasion to do it myself.

Reply to
Not Me