Impossible engine swop on MB230E, 124?

I have a MB 230E 1988. When I changed the engine, I realized that this engine had a different ignition system. The engine that was in the car had the EZL ingnition system, but the new engine have the TSZ system. On the EZL system, the control box is controlling the ignition through one plug, and the other (big plug) is connected to a cable that runs to the main control box behind the battery, via the cable that has all the connections to the different transmitters/transducers on the injecton system. As far as I know, the control box for the TSZ system doesn't have this plug. It appears to me that these two systems also have two different cabeling systems in the car it self??? When using the control box for the EZL system on the engine with the TSZ system, something very strange happens. When I am tryingto start the car, the ignition timing is so early, that the engine is working against the starermotor, and it is very difficult to get it started. When I manage to get it started in the end, it is running perfect. Does anybody know why this is happening? I have tried to take off the big plug that is going to the ignition,(and left the other plug in). Then connected a control box for the TSZ system to it. What happens then, is that the engine starts perfectly, but it will not run properly on idle. It appers to me that the ignition part has to comunicate with the part of the control box that is conected to the transmitters/transducers.I can not find any answers to the problem, and how to solve this. If anybody have come across this problem, and have found a solution to this, I would be very greatful to get the information.

Best regards. John A. Simonsen

Reply to
John A. Simonsen

Try to find one of those crazy Mercedes mechanics that runs around the shop with an airhose down his coveralls and makes racing sounds in the chair in the office and eats gojo hand cleaner :-) Their the best for this situation! I feel your pain and had this dilemma on a BMW once before.

Reply to
CaptainW116