Light bulb longevity

We own a Lexus LS400 that we've had since 1993. It has been fabulously reliable and we'll probably never sell it.

One thing that really puts me in awe is that in all the time we've had it, and it's a daily driver, the only lamps that have burned out are the two cornering lamps (that were a major pain to get at). That's it. All other lamps are original. Never have had an experience like that before, but then this is our first premium brand car. We've had Fords, and GM's, and Mazda's, and Chevy's and none were like the Ls in terms of the lamps lasting so long.

So this raises the question of whether this is a Lexus thing, or is it a high-priced spread thing. Do Merc and Bimmer and Infiniti drivers enjoy this lack-of-hassles luxury, too? Be nice if it were true, because we're considering a Merc E-Class diesel or a 330i or a GS as a second car. (the first for the fuel economy and the others for fun-to-drive, neither of which does Lexus do real well, sigh). Not to say that long-life lamps is a deal-maker, but it IS a real luxury one gets used to.

GRL

Reply to
GRL

I've got a '95 Saturn with 350,000km on it and I've replaced a couple of side marker lamps and one low beam bulb. The rest are original.

You always seem to see Dodges and VW's with a burnt out headlight, so maybe there's something to the brand of the car, but I wonder if it hasn't got more to do with the luck of the draw.

I'm sure my Saturn dealer would like it if we equated bulb longevity with luxury, though :-)

Tim Delaney '84 300SD '95 Saturn SW1 '97 GMC Safari (doesn't eat bulbs, either)

Reply to
Tim Delaney

I believe it has been much more a matter of good luck than other things. I own a MB and have owned a BMW. Both are good cars and have had their fair share of burned bulbs. Neither MB nor BMW nor Lexus make their own bulbs. They are bought from one of the leading light bulb manufacturers. However, if you drive carefully, over well-paved roads without potholes, bulb filaments are not heavily shaken while red-hot and will last longer. By the way, my MB is not too fun to drive either, but it is reliable, and safe. The BMW was more fun, but it didn't last too long.

WÇY

Reply to
WÇY

I know that Lexus et al. buy their bulbs from suppliers. However, they can specify a bulb that has a longer lifetime than that found in low to mid-priced cars and the vendor will supply it.

I don't think it's a matter of luck. Thrirteen years with only two bulbs burned out is too good to be attributed to luck, in my view.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

They use the same bulbs in a tercel that they use in your lexus. You paid more for them, so if it makes you feel better to think you got better bulbs go right ahead...

Now the theory about bumps destroying the filaments might help explain the greater longevity... ie that car has a great suspension, so the bulbs are spared the rough ride?

Also, these cars do have the BEST electrical systems IMO (toyotas that is including lexus), which also could contribute to a long bulb life. Stable electrical systems with less surges or drops will mean less wear and tear on the appliances.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph