LPG conversion on UK Mercedes 280E '93 Help wanted

Hi I'm considering converting to LPG as petrol prices go sky high. and I've been quoted around £1750. Browsing through ebay I've come across several kits and a couple of Mercs that have in the past been converted and are now being broken. Can somebody explain to me exactly what is involved in converting to LPG on my model and is a DIY conversion possible for a reasonable competent home mechanic. Cheers Ian

Reply to
Ian Jackson

| my model and is a DIY conversion possible for a reasonable competent home | mechanic.

Not if you value your life, Just pay for it to be done professionally. 1 small leak with enough time in the right place will be it, all over red rover.

Reply to
taxman

On the basis that the OP's costs are only GBP 1750 and ignoring his hassle time, how long would it take to recoup the fuel price difference, bearing mind that LPG prices will rise?

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

A few of things to bear in mind.

1) LPG is only cheaper than petrol because the Chancellor says so. He has already indicated that the taxes on it may well rise if it becomes "too popular".

2) LPG powered vehicles are not permitted through the Channel Tunnel.

3) Your boot space will disappear.
Reply to
Stratman

Get it done in Holland. Prices are around 1000 euro. Don't know how you have to handle the registry of yourcar though.

Reply to
W116