RX300 LPG conversion

I'm looking at an LPG conversion for my RX300. Lexus UK say that it is 'not recommended' Consumer protection law states that Lexus must honour warranty terms. Fitting company say that they can install and government gives a grant of UK£800 towards cost. LPG is about half the cost of petrol (or gas for US readers)

Anyone out there with experience of LPG conversions?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Engel

I converted my Toyota Avensis to LPG 6months ago and have done 25000 trouble free miles in UK

advantages

huge fuel saving (fuel bills more than halved)

disadvantages (all small and insignificant compared to cost saving)

large tank in boot (trunk) mine takes a while to fill up slightly less power fuel availability (need to be smart where you fill up currently costs me 33p per litre but not many garages but I still can run on the expensive stuff if I need to)

When my avensis dies I intend to by a Lexus and convert that so any comments from people who have done this would be good.

My avensis was already out of warranty so can't comment there but I really have had no problems.

Mail me if you need more info!

Ian

Reply to
ian bury

In news:c1o9dp$gvt$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Chris Engel being of bellicose mind posted:

LPG has no ... NO ... lubricating qualities to prevent valves and seats from eroding each other like gasoline does. Ignition timing curves are also different for LPG. It's not a simple conversion where fuel injection is present. I hope the kit and installer are experienced.

Reply to
Philip®

In news:c1o9dp$gvt$ snipped-for-privacy@sparta.btinternet.com, Chris Engel being of bellicose mind posted:

I just happened to run across this .... while looking up where your petrol taxes are spent. It's a thread about LPG conversions and proposed fuel taxations:

Philip®

One extra thing just check the £800 advice your car needs to be on a list and also needs to be fairly new I think!

Reply to
ian bury