MB C250D cold start problem with fueltank less than 25%

I own a 1994 Mercedes C 250 Diesel. 170.000 km. Automatic gearbox. Great car. Since a few weeks it has a strange problem. The car runs very well. Cold or Warm, it always starts perfectly. But when the fueltank is less than 25% full and the engine is cold, it will not start. For example this morning. Fuel = less than 25% and engine cold. I started almost 5 minutes and the engine wouldn't start. Then i shook the car and started and it came alive.

I really don't get it. The car is in perfect condition and it runs really well. But when the tank is less dan 25% full and the engine is cold, it will not start.

Does anyone have a clue? You would really help me.

Regards,

A desperate dutchman snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
duduck

sounds like faulty fuel gauge, have you checked the real fuel level?

Reply to
Roffe Berg

Fill it up and if it starts, well fuel gauges can actually break! Dont trust it go by the trip meter instead.

Reply to
Roffe Berg

Yes, fuel level = correct. when i fill 'm up, 45 liters can be added. So there must be at least 15 liters left.

"Roffe Berg" schreef in bericht news:opsld0o5na4qwyo8@meat-mw3f5yope4...

Reply to
duduck

thanx for your reply. unfortunatly its not the fuel gauge or meter. when the problem occurs, i can add approx 45 liters. (62 liters = max) the trip meter is at 560 or 570 km. normally i drive 680-720 km before i have to re-fuel

"Roffe Berg" schreef in bericht news:opsld0ttdb4qwyo8@meat-mw3f5yope4...

Reply to
duduck

try removing the fuel cap or leave it so wont seal. you may be getting a vacuum build up in the tank. the pump is having to over come this & after a while it can't any more

good luck

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man