new mercedes owner questions

On Saturday I bought a 95 C280 with 63K miles and a complete service history. The car is in excellent condition, although it needs floor mats and a good detailing. For 9K, I thought it was a good deal.

Opinions seem to differ on this particular model (some consider good, since it is used as a taxi in europe, albeit with a 4cyl engine, others view it as an abomination) but I would love to hear the experiences of this newsgroup's subscribers.

I have a couple of questions relating to parts:

  1. The car has only one key. Do I need to get duplicates from an MB dealer?
  2. The car is missing its jack. Where might I get one of these?, and lastly
3 I want a set of black floor mats (the car is silver with grex tex). What is a good source for these?

TIA

Reply to
Criblecoblis1

The C-class is very rarely used as taxis in Europe, its to small. The E-class is the taxi-MB.

I dont know what was delivered as standard in the US but if your key is non-electronic then you can get a copy anywhere, else... go to MB.

Oh, dont bother with getting an original MB-jack, they are really bad.

Reply to
thomas

Yep, a new key can be purchased from Mercedes Benz, they just require you show registration papers to prove it is your vehicle. Upon order the keys are shipped from MB in Germany.

Check Ebay for a factory MB jack.

Also, most ALL taxis in europe of Diesel not gas. and the pervious post was correct they are usually E-Class, but in France I DID see some of the newer generation C-class used as taxis.

Reply to
Glenflow55

...and, what's more, it's the 200D or 220D engines that are generally used in taxis, not a thirsty 2.8 l (or thereabouts) petrol engine.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

A mechanic friend told me that the c class (in its 94-2001 incarnation) 4 cyl gas is used as a taxi.

Reply to
chris tonjes

For $9000, that is pretty cheap... but buyer beware though as I did buy one for what I thought was pretty cheap, but ended up paying a fortune on stupid maintenance as it had one problem after another... even what amount to be small problems in other brands such as Toyotas or Hondas can amount to $$$$$$$.

My first minor maintenance was to change front brake pads and some fuse and it cost me $600CDN... that was at the dealers... damn thieves.

Reply to
R Green - WoWsat.com

it was cheap because it had remained in inventory for many months. I took a two year extended warranty with it to cover two big potential problems this model has: wiring harness, and head gasket failure.

It's a lovely car. Cheap to insure. Once I get floor mats and good detailing it will look new. I wonder why it never caught on?

newsgroup's

Reply to
chris tonjes

Almost any car is used as a taxi but we are talking of widespread use in Germany, CH etc, and petrol-engined cars are not that common, especially not with a Mercedes. What's the point? The diesel engine is ideally suited for high-mileage city driving.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

the point is that cars used as taxis are generally reliable. That makes them a good bet as a used car.

Reply to
chris tonjes

If I may suggest these popular Mercedes web sites:

Big and popular site (good for searching for info):

Smaller, more personal (more C-Classes):

And just for your car, very personal (C-Class is AKA model: W202)

One every site, people are very friendly, and will be happy to answer your questions.

Reply to
SW