New TD E-class impression

Just test drove a new MB turbodiesel and it was an interesting experience because this thing is shown to be a real torque monster (369 ft-lb) with very good acceleration and mileage numbers.

What I was surprised by, given the diesel engine's reputation for low-end "grunt" and this car's 7-speed automatic (or so the salesman said, I think he was wrong about that part) was the hesitation or softness in power delivery from a stop. It was not a stumble, just a delay before real power could be felt. Sort of a mini-turbo-lag, which may very well be what it was.

No doubt something one gets used too, but a little annoying when first encountered. Beyond that, an excellent power train and not a bad price at $48,000. George Litwinski

"It's good to want things."

S. Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist, Visual Basic.Net programmer)

Reply to
GRL

Indeed the salesman is wrong, the car you talk about - E 320 CDI sedan - always has 5-speed auto trans, no other choice world-wide.

The 7-speed auto trans is called 7G-TRONIC and is standard for E 500, S 430, S 500, CL 500 and SL 500.

Juergen - W123 240D with non-electronic 4-speed auto

Juergen .