newly (used) 560sel

Hi all,

I just purchased a 1989 560SEL. IT looks and runs great.

There are a few items that I have to address:

  1. NO service records, other than the car has 138,000 miles on the odometer.

  1. NO second key. I asked the seller, he told me it's with the owners manual papers. I never bothered to look (too much in a hurry) NO second key. What do I do now?

  2. Driver's headrest does NOT go up at all!! Any guesses as to what it might be and the possibly fix to it?

The car drives nice too. I picked it up in FL and drove it home to Long Island, NY. I will need a wheel alignment. When I was driving it above 90 mph (just checking it out) I felt a vibration.

Any comments are welcome.

Bill

Reply to
Wildman

Bill,

Go to your nearest dealer with your registration and have them order you a master key for your vehicle. About $30.

Headrest problem is probably in the door switch. Unless you have taken one of the memory switches apart before, DON'T.

Vibration at one speed and not another is a wheel/balance problem.

I have a 1989 560SEL and made it from Elmont to Saratoga in 2:45. Don't expect more than 17MPG.

If you don't have any maintenance records, start with the 30,000 mile service as a baseline for all your maintenance. One word of caution, if the ATF looks dirty and smells burned, I would not recommend a full fluid service. Do the filter and just the ATF in the pan (about 3 qts). Your fill point when cold is 1/4" below the LOW mark on the stick.

If you have any more questions, give us a call at the shop. Ask for Greg or Dick.

Autobahn Centre

484 central Ave Albany, NY 12206 (518) 689-3086

Good luck,

Dick

Reply to
sur5er