oil comsumption E320

On my recent 1000 mile trip at speeds 73-80...My e320 (95000mi)used 1 qt Mobil 1 synthetic oil.This seems higher than in the past? or is this normal for engine of this mileage? Thanks for comments

Reply to
slowmotion

Normal. Higher (speed) demands increase oil consumption - on any motor and after 93K yours may be getting a bit predisposed to that.

If your motor had but 10K and you complained to M-B they'd tell you that

1 qt oil use in 1,000 miles falls within factory tolerances.
Reply to
T.G. Lambach

'Officially' I believe this is still considered 'normal'. I have a 300e with 150k mi on it and it would use - driving on freeway for extend times - about double or even three times that amount of oil. In spring I had myh valve guides changed and now I use essentially no oil between changes. I do those every 4000 mi. It is simply not uncommon to have a car that uses little (less than half a liter) between changes or essentially none at all. I guess ultimately it's your choice when it's worthwhile to do the repair that will stop oil consumption .... typically valve guide/seals. Food for thought

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I had a '88 200 (w124) with 70kmiles that used that much for a while. I traded it in for a 250D (50kmiles, added 25) that uses hardly any oil between changes.

The 200's engine looked like new compared to the 250D. I have no idea why it used so much oil and neither did the place that sold it to me and traded it in for the 250D later on.

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

How old oil there is in the engine?

If it's near oil change, it might be well normal.

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

I have a 97 E320 and regularly run at at the speed you quote. It has

140000 miles on it and I change the oil every 10000 to 12000 mi. In its entire life I have never seen it down pint. I run only Pennsylvania grade oils. I have had the same experience with at least ten other cars, all of which I have driven over 100000 mi. To my mind, using a quart in 1000 mi is indicative of a problem, perhaps valve guides or rings.

EJ in NJ

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Ditto. I have a '94 E320 with 210,000kms with the 24-v M104 engine, and in spite of losing a few drops a day, I have _never_ had to add oil. I would have to take a micrometer to the dipstick to see the difference in oil level from a fresh oil change to the day I take it in for the next change.

John M. non-smoker

Reply to
John Mauel