oil weight - 300TDT?

Hi all just wondering what the appropriate oil weight would be for my

300tdt? for my toyota diesel it was 15w40 is this correct for the Mercedes diesel?

Also I live in Vancouver BC, should I take the car to a quicklube? I dislike paying huge dealer / boutique pricing for basic maintenance.

Reply to
Ruddy Duck

Yes, that is the right weight for diesel... If you can run synthetic, you might want to go with 5W40 by Shell Rotella...

Reply to
Tiger

10w-30 in winter - 15W-40 in summer. If it's really colds use synthetic so the engine turns freely in cold weather. If it's really cold you can use 0W-something oil.

There's something in bewteen. Find an independant mechanic that works on German cars. He'll be the one with the Mercedes, BMW and Audi's in the parking lot.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks, no worries about cold here, we have had our few days of winter (-8c). I doubt we'll see much more

Reply to
Ruddy Duck

I'd stay away from the 10W40 as that oil doesn't have the same quality as the 15W40 which is made for use in diesel engines with their higher requirements. If you have a starting problem in cold weather change the glow plugs to Bosch and/or install a block heater.

Reply to
Ernesto

appropriate oil weight would be for my

The weight of the oil and whether it's rated for diesel use are two different things. Valvoline makes a 10W40 that is CF rated. That's what I use in my 300SD in winter, as the owner's manual specifies that for below about 25 deg, as opposed to 15W40, which is OK for above 25 deg temp. When in doubt, read the manual.

Reply to
trader4