no haggle pricing?

Looking to get a scion tl for one of my children. Have purchased a number of new cars in my life, never at a "price fixed, no hassle type of car like saturn or scion" Question is before I go to stealership, is there really no bargaining on price? If not, then if the price on sticker is so and so, and I offer 100 dollars less, the stealership will not accept the offer? Plus the add on dealer accessories(which they all are except for side air bags) seems to be very expensive. The prices on web site or edmunds do not include installation, and they seem to be asking usuary fees, for that. anyone with any experiences at scion(toyota dealerships) when it comes to the scion.

thanks to all

Reply to
j.lef

I bought mine on Wednesday, and there were no price negotiations. The sticker was like $13K and the total over $16,000. Too bad we didn't buy it in New Hampshire, since there is no sales tax there, but oh well. Frankly, I don't like to haggle, but if you do, get a figure in mind that you think you can afford, versus how much you think the car is worth. If those two things don't mesh, pass on it as long as you can, and make them go back to the drawing board. (This usually just consists of the salesman handing your contract to 'my manager' (Uh-huh *rolling eyes*). The Scion is our fourth Toyota product (We had an old Celica, 1980, I think, but we bought it used in

1991, my aforementioned Corolla FX 16, which is now my mom's car, my 2000 Echo, and now the Scion), and have never had any complaints, except the shitty paint job on the Echo, and the rust that infects many Toyotas, not to mention the less-than-great exhaust systems, but overall, we would have still bought all of those cars again. Toyota's reputation for dependability and customer satisfaction is well-earned, IMNSHO.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Here in CT, if we go to NH to buy a vehicle, we pay CT sales tax when we register the car.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Wow that bites! We bought our Echo in Vermont, and didn't pay taxes because we were NH residents. I should have mentioned the fact that we lived in NH.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

"Wickeddoll®" wrote in news:428e625e$0$10516$ snipped-for-privacy@news.free.fr:

You've done this before, huh?

You know, I am convinced that they are *all* reading the *same* textbooks. They *all* do the same damn things.

A year and a half ago, when I bought our '99 Tercel, I went through just exactly this. The salesman promised me (yeah, uh-huh) that he could put me "on the road" for $11K (Cdn) in this particular car.

He would not even give me a (real) price until I'd driven the thing. I told him I knew perfectly well what a Tercel felt like and I did not need to drive this one, but he was firm. Well, OK then...

So eventually we end up in his office (cubicle), and he hems and haws over the contract, making random stabs at his calculator, wrinkling his brows and turning down the corners of his mouth. And comes in at $12,800.

It took me over an hour to get him back down to....$11,000. Exactly what I'd asked for in the first place. In the process he went to his manager twice, and had him come in to his office twice ("We're not making much on this car, you know..."), and at the very end I got up to leave and was physically pushed back down in my seat.

Buying a car from the dealer is lots of fun, if you like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I live in BC, Canada. I thought that with the Toyota pricing system in Canada, the dealer won't budge on price. They didn't anything for me on my '03 Corolla anyway...

Reply to
dc

Yep, same thing shopping for a new FourRunner for my Mom. And the price changes, depending on the factory incentives offered at a given time. On one hand you don't have to worry about jumping between dealers for the best price, but on the other hand you wonder about holding out for a better factory price.

Reply to
Gordo

A long read but well worth the time:

Reading it really helped me buy my last vehicle. My deals my be simpler from the get-go, as I NEVER, EVER, trade vehicles in. I always sell them myself after I have the new vehicle in my possession.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Thanks!

We didn't trade this time either. We *knew* we could get more money for the FX 16, by selling the parts, but my mom wanted the car, so we sold it to her.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Yup!

I totally agree!

LOL!

Ain't that always the way?

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

And they wonder why car dealers as a group have a reputation only slightly higher than pond scum. Even if you conduct yourself scrupulously, the rest of the crooks have smeared you by association.

And if you're the only honest dealer on the block, the competition is probably eating your lunch, too.

If the choice was buy a new car or go to the dentist, I'd volunteer for a root canal first, even if he's out of Novocain. It hurts less.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Don't hold back, Bruce... tell us how you *really* think!

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Reply to
Mark Schofield

Bruce L. Bergman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

That's probably the best approach if you're financing or you have a trade- in, as that's where they monkey with things most, and where it's harder to see where they are fleecing you.

And even then, those books probably would make no difference at all if the car you want is very hot in the market at that time. At that point, it's usually a take-it-or-leave-it thing: If you don't pay what they want, somebody else will, so take a hike, Jack.

If you're paying cash and are *not* looking for an example of a hot-seller, it's a lot easier: Just go in with an on-the-road price that fits your budget and stick to it, shopping from dealer to dealer until somebody gives you what you want. It's an excellent illustration of the benefits of fiscal restraint and living within your means. Paying people for the use of their money is costly.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

hot-seller,

What is the nature of the deal between the dealers and Scion regarding pricing? Does it extend to accessories? Can you make "off the sheet" deals for freebies? Maybe negotiate a deal on extended warranties or maintenance?

Leonard

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

Why not do the same thing at the grocery store, the furniture store, Home Depot. You know haggle the price. They all have mark-up and well why should they be allowed to rake in the dough. If I were your boss maybe at the end of the week we could hggle your pay. You know the deal? Right? You people all make me sick. The dealer buys rhe car for

35000.00 has 3000 mark up and ends up at cost to move the iron thats costing him mortgage money to sit there, and you think he's the crook. Go look in the mirror. Todays dealers depend on the service and parts sales to keep the doors open. If you knew what they are making on the front end you would'nt want to be a car dealer.
Reply to
cwbjr

Dunno who you directed this at, since there is no reply info, but a helpful site for car costs is

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

The mentality of car buyers always amazes me, as well. The will gladly pay $1,000 for furniture on which the dealer makes around $700, or an appliance for $500 on which the dealer makes around $300. The will buy a home through a Realtor that earns 7% of the list but expect a dealer to be satisfied with $300 on a $30,000 vehicle. ;)

mike hunt

cwbjr wrote:

Reply to
RustyFendor

Nope, got to any GM dealer they'll give you all the rebates they can and do anything to the price of a vehicle to ge it off the lot, they don't care. They just try to burn you by adding all the extras without you knowing it so that once the paper is signed its a done deal.

Reply to
dc

So you're saying they're crooked in a different way? Lovely

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®