Opinion sought

I live in vancouver as well. If you want, my friend will have a 1985 w126 long body with 300SD engine available. He took out the

500sel engine and is rebuilding a 300sd engine and transmission, then putting it in. If interested email to cplas _AT_ telus _DOT_ net

cp

Reply to
cp

135K KM for a well maintained benz is just broken in.

Where can you find an old benz with such low kilometers?

We have six of these old benzes, 1966-1991 and maintenance, out of all the cars my family has had, the benzes are the cheapest. Period.

cp

Reply to
cp

Richard Sexton's site:

Get someone to pick up a diesel w124 for you from Germany =) less than 120K KM

cp

Reply to
cp

Richard Sexton's site:

There are a few places in Holland (Budgetbenz, Nijkamp mercedes) that specialize in finding older low km MB's in Germany. They're not cheap, but the cars are good.

I got a 250D there (2.5 liter 5 cylinder diesel).

From this group I often get the impression that the 300D sold in the US is a 5 cylinder 2.5 liter diesel. In Europe, the 300D is a 6 cylinder 3 liter diesel. Is that the correct impression? I wonder why they did that. Is the 300SD a 2.5 liter as well?

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

specialize in finding older low km MB's in Germany. They're

Yeah, my dad bought a w124 200D from Holland. It's funny, but that tank and 2L

4cyl diesel engine are not too bad on the mountain highways here in BC. And it takes less than 6L/100km

cylinder 2.5 liter diesel. In Europe, the 300D is a

Some of the 300D were indeed 2.5 Turbo diesel, others 3L, at least here in Canada. We had a 1990 3L 300TD, very nice.

No. 300SD was w126 with om617 Then there were the 300SDL and 350SDL w126's

cp

Reply to
cp

specialize in finding older low km MB's in Germany. They're

4cyl diesel engine are not too bad on the mountain

Well the 200D is a bit too relaxed for my tastes even though there's not a hill around.

The 250D is not a fast car either, but combined with the automatic gearbox (which is rare in Holland) it makes for a very relaxing ride, especially in heavy traffic (whih is not rare in Holland). My GF has a

190E 2.0 and I find myself driving much too fast in it in comparison. Probably to compensate for the ole 250D I try to overtake everyone ;)

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

The cars a worth owning. Look in Atlanta.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Maybe. But I'd feel bad about packing my kids up in a Toyota and lettnig them loose on a freeway to play with 18 wheelers. At the end of the day it's harder to die in the benz.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Nonsense. A basic understanding of what a glo plug is, how it works and how to keep them happy will start the car in the worst part of canada on the coldest day. A bit of common sense goes a long way. You will need a block heater at -44. There's many gas cars that de facto need the same thing.

Heat is generlaly easy to fix in all but the oldest (70s) benzes.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Not true. I didn't use a block heater this winter. I think there were three times when I had to drag out a second Optima battery and use both to start it, but it did start every time.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

It's 15. The US will not allow the importation of some vehilces into it no matter what the year. Canada allows ANY vehicle to be imported if it's

15 yrs or older.

Richard Sexton

Well said! MB has better safety record.

Reply to
Tiger

Some area in Canada is so freezing cold... My uncle used to live there... he said, one day he forgot to plug the car in at work parking lot (all provided by employer)... when he got out of work, he couldn't start the car and it was super freezing... gas engine too.

Reply to
Tiger

Richard Sexton's site:

Yes those look nice and exactly what I am looking for... I wonder how I would get one or two shipped?

Reply to
smoked salmon

At that price? Wow... call em up and ask how much $$$... not how because anything is possible.

Reply to
Tiger

Oh, come on, there's 300 m near Maastricht... Or is that 100 m?

BTW, I drove my 200D for two years mainly around Schleswig-Holstein, with a topography similar to that of NL. I was very happy, but those colleagues (many also with company 200Ds) who had to drive longer distances around all of Germany or mountainous Bavaria were less pleased...

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Enough for me alright =)

(which is rare in Holland) it makes for a very relaxing

190E 2.0 and I find myself driving much too fast in

Now what about a w210 with a 5spd 2.5 turbo diesel? whooooooo! =)

cp

Reply to
cp

get one or two shipped?

Shipping is simple. My dad shipped 6 of these diesels (including a beautiful

5spd turbo diesel "Westfalia" VW) to tacoma washington. Cars are around 800USD. You're in Vancouver, right? To import a car into Canada from outside the US it must be 15 years old. To import a car into the US from outside it must be 25 years old unless you got a lot of money and connections, which wouldn't make any sense anyways =)

The two sites kfzmarkt.de and mobile.de are more than enough. That's how my father shops. Once he won't straight off the plane and picked one up. It's definitely worth if you're into these cars.

cp

Reply to
cp

anything is possible.

Yeah, you should see the beautiful 1990 w201 200D my father brought for my sister. 120K for 2500EU, with shipping and taxes cost around 7500CAD, which is more than worth it.

cp

Reply to
cp

Yeh, I second that, from experience.