7-speed transmission troubles

I own an '06 E500 with the 7-speed transmission. I bought the car new in Dec. 2006 and have 1200 miles on it. The car runs great with the

5.0L V8, but the transmission seems to have a mind of its own. It never seems to be in the right gear, it often hunts for the right gear, and it sometimes clunks slightly when engaging first gear coming to a stop. The car was built in Sept. 2005, so I'm wondering if it might have a late-05 or early-06 trans. Several publications have mentioned that M-B has had problems with this trans, but I can't find *any* posts here that mention these problems. It's hard to find M-B tech. service bulletins online. Is anyone aware how widespread the problem is, and does anyone know what the M-B response is? The car is obviously under warranty, but I would appreciate learning any background about transmission troubles in this car before approaching my service manager. Thanks in advance.

John E.

Reply to
do_not_reply1

I've found that driving this transmission with vigor - as one with a E500 probably would - it WILL downshift into first with a bump/clunk. Driving it gently, however, it will be completely smooth and unnoticed.

It has an adaptive driver logic designed to reflect the driver's actions and one ought to pick a camp - cowboy or old fart - like me! It it will perform accordingly.

Good luck with your car.

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

Half a year and 1200 miles.

May I ask, what you need a car for?

Reg: Harri

Reply to
Harri Markkula

The company and the dealers know about the problems with the 7-sp. They will try to fix it; they did mine. The first step is a software reprogram. That didn't help mine. The next is a valve replacement; that fixed mine. The dealer said if that didn't do it, they would replace the transmission.

Mine was downshifting very aggressively when I slowed down, slamming into first gear with a lurch. I found others complaining on some MB forums about this too; I printed those out and took them to my service advisor.

Reply to
Lloyd

Lloyd,

Thanks very much for your input.

John

Reply to
do_not_reply1

WOW !!!!! Now MB has a problem with the 7 speed tranny. The old 5 speed worked great, and was better than the Lexus 6 speed. That makes me feel a little bit better about not having the wonderfull S Klass - I was forgetting just how bad it is to have to drive into the dealer every trip out of my driveway.

mcbrue kudzuly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

Reply to
mcbrue

Admit it. You own a Japanese Cadillac and you are now lonely with too much time on your hands.

Reply to
me