Remove rear disk, Camry

Hi,

How do I remove the rear disk rotor on a 1991 Camry wagon? I have the wheel and caliper off, but the disk doesn't budge. What is the trick?

Thanks Gib

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Make sure that the parking brakes are released. They may be just a little stuck also. Perhaps some light hammering may loosen them.

Reply to
Viperkiller

Like VK said, take the parking brake off!

These rear disk cars use a pair of brake shoes inside the hub of the rotor for tha parking brkae. If you have the p-brake on, all the pounding in the world won't get the rotor off.

Don't worry, I've been had by that, too!

Reply to
Hachiroku

If you have disk brakes on the rear and the caliper is removed, the rotor is probably rusted on the hub. Use a little penetrating oil around the hub center and studs, thread back on one lug nut just a bit as a stop so the rotor will not suddenly fly off , then use a firm hammer blow to break it loose. A slide hammer will work just as well. Don't hammer so hard as to take a chance on breaking the rotor and perhaps injuring yourself. If you have drum brakes, make absolutely certain that the parking brake is off, then back off the adjuster on the shoes in case they are worn so far into the drum that they are not allowing it to slide past when you are removing it. A little penetrating oil and some light tapping with a hammer, wiggling it as you pull, will usually persuade it off. When reassembling, I have had good luck using a bit of anti-seize around the contact point with the hub to prevent them rusting themselves on in the future. Good luck.

Reply to
user

Thanks for the replies. I did have the hand brake off. The rotor seems to be a bit stuck, maybe some rust.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Thanks, I'll try the penetrating oil.

Reply to