Redline v. Amsoil

I am seeking advice, information and opinions on the choice between Redline Synthetic and Amsoil for the Mercedes diesel engines. I have been using Amsoil synthetic on gasoline-powered engines for years with great success, but have thus far never used the sythetic in my diesels.

I have done research on Redline, but find that much of the data is technical to the point of not being meaningful in terms of a comparison. Also, I have easy access to Amsoil, but have always had troubel finding the Redline.

Thanks,

Randall Brink

Reply to
randallbrink

A religious discussion? I got 774,000 miles on dino oil in my 190Dc with no major engine repairs, and and pushing 250K in my 300TD. I'll stick with normal oil changed and recommended intervals.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

There is always somebody who knows better that the manufacturer.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Not exactly on point, but I have used Redline exclusively in all of my cars, including my (gasoline) C220. I have 240,000 miles on it, and it runs great and burns no oil.

Your only concern is changing over to a full synthetic oil if you have run non-synthetic oil long enough to develop sludge in your engine. The higher detergent effect of the synthetic oil and additive package can cause problems. Changeover by adding a quart more synthetic with each change, decreasing the non-detergent volume to compensate. Redline is available on the internet at jegs.com

Reply to
LWG

I received this advice too late to follow it to the letter. However, I did flush the engine with Amsoil flush prior to refilling with Amsoil

15-40 synthetic. In the course of flushing, I used a new filter, then changed filter again prior to adding the new oil. I hope that this addresses the issue of the sludge.

Thanks again for the information and advice.

Reply to
randallbrink