Siphoning Oil Question

I was just wondering if any oil siphon systems, like the Topsider or LiquidVac, can get the oil out of the filter cannister on a 380sl. Or will i still have that potential mess to deal with.

Thanks

Reply to
Robert Binder

Wan-ning Tan

Yes but some oil is left to the filter if you do not first remove it and then siphon what you can get out.

If however you slowly open the filter, at some point it should let the oil inside pass to the engine (oil pan) and the mess should be mostly avoided. A lot better than on those cars where a filter can opens sideways or so.

Reply to
Me

As long as we're on this subject, does anyone have any thoughts about the oil that remains behind in the oil cooler on a 300D? Wouldn't that be desirable to remove as a part of an oil change? Would a siphon do the trick??

Thanks!

Reply to
phollings

Yes. You can also build one out of a vacuum cleaner, a jerry can and some tubing and duct tape. They're silly but they work.

Hint: get a vacuum from a thrift shop. Wives don't relaly like this being done with their. I went through two before I figured this out.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

LOL! Wives or vacuums?

Cheers, ws